You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Updating OS & Aperture #1
Damien Mackey's picture
by Damien Mackey
September 10, 2012 - 11:57pm

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone had any input regarding updating my OS from snow leopard to Lion and updating Aperture, which should i do first.
Many thanks to all who answer.

Cheers

Damien

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
September 11, 2012 - 12:36am

Hi Damien
Im often proven wrong in my thinking so take this advice with a grain of salt. First rebuild you lib with all three steps, see FAQ, then update your AP Vault. Have a good back up of your entire system. Up date the os from snow leopard skipping lion if possible and run Ap to confirm all is working. after all that upgrade Aperture and don’t be surprised if the library will need rebuilding after the AP upgrade. Good Luck and have fun…after all you have backups. Cheers “Columbo Style” advise

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
September 11, 2012 - 1:06am

Just offering this for thought … You may want to consider starting from scratch making the leap from Snow Leopard to Lion/Mountain Lion (most likely to Mountain Lion unless you have the old Lion installer on hand since it is not available from the App Store)

Much has changed in Lion/Mountain Lion compared to Snow Leopard. I recently went this route and decided to leave all that legacy stuff behind. There is a tendency to accumulate a bunch of unnecessary supporting files for apps and utilities you may no longer be using. Often after we download and trial an app or utility, the “uninstall” or simply dragging the app to the trash can leave behind a myriad of supporting files, caches and other files we no longer need.

If you install in place with a new system, or update using Migration assistant, it keeps everything … even those files you can no longer use for legacy apps that can’t run on the new OS versions … By formatting my startup drive, performing a new install of Mountain Lion, then manually installing all my apps … then manually drag over only those Application Support files, preference files and documents from my cloned backup … I ended up saving considerable amount of space and eliminated all the extra clutter …

Before you start, to make a good clone of your drive as a safety net … be sure to keep this clone on hand until you are sure that you have everything transferred that you need. Of course laying the groundwork to make sure I had all the non Apple app installers on hand and the relevant serial numbers on hand for the installs takes a bit of time. Also … make sure you deactivate any Adobe apps (or other apps that may require deactivation before you start the process) BEFORE you format the disk …

Now my systems are lean and mean and only have the data needed to get the job done without all the extra erroneous crap I no longer used …

Damien Mackey's picture
by Damien Mackey
September 18, 2012 - 10:04pm

Hey DB and Butch

Thanks for the replies and so sorry for getting back to you so late, I have taken in what you guys have said and i will give it a go as soon as i get the time, I am afraid i am new to Mac and although i would love to format and do a clean install of the new OS and then upgrade to the latest version of Aperture I would have no idea where to start and how to do it, i dont even know how to do a clone back up of my system.
But hopefully i will learn as time goes on and i will be able to do it at some stage.
Thanks Guys

Chat soon

Damien

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 20, 2012 - 1:27am

Damien,

If you live near an Apple store, you may want to consider signing up for some classes there. Probably a good place to get started. And, welcome to the Mac!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
September 20, 2012 - 5:38am

I have been a enterprise Mac administrator for several years now. The latest release of OS X is very stable and the upgrade process from Snow Leopard directly to Mountain Lion is very thorough.

If you have an external disk and use Time Machine, just make sure that Time Machine has run a backup within the last hour. Then go to the Mac App Store, purchase Mountain Lion for $19.99, and do the upgrade.

The upgrade process is as follows. You purchase Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store. The App Store application then downloads the 4.7GB Install application into your local /Applications folder. When you first download it, it will start automatically. You can choose to exit the Installer without upgrading. It will leave the installer in /Applications and you can do it at later your own leisure. Just double-click the installer and off you go.

If things go awry, you can do a complete restore from your Time Machine backup. That will put you right back where you were prior to the upgrade.

After you perform the OS upgrade, then upgrade all your apps.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness