You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
The ultimate dread has happened - my Mac has died! #1
mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
May 30, 2013 - 4:05pm

So my 'trusty' old Pre-unibody MacBook Pro only boots to a black screen - not even a chime. I assume it's a logic board failure. So at the moment, I'm considering just getting a new iMac (probably wait for WWDC).

In the meantime, I'm contemplating doing the Great Cleanup, and just starting a new Mac and just migrating my files.

Now I understand if I use setup assistant, it will help transfer things. However, what I'm unsure of is whther checking to migrate a user will actually bring over all the kruft I'm hoping to avoid (stuff like out of date keychain entries, long gone preference files, and the like).

Can I use setup assistant to just transfer over my aperture library for instance? Or by flagging that automatically transfers over my user and settings?

Otherwise what other options would I have to just get my library back (and other files like my music folder etc)? Let's say I only have my time machine drive.

My main concern is permissions on the aperture library. I assume a migration using the assistant associates it with the new user (or old one if it copies over), but what if I just setup a new user and some how copied the files back over? I know a finder copy is all that's used to shift aperture libraries around, but that,s because new files created are associad with the user not source. I believe this is a little different when using time machine, especially if the time machine belongs to another mac.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

dinjy gilani's picture
by dinjy gilani
July 5, 2013 - 9:05pm

Mac become died due to the several reasons such as, when its performance become slow, so many unwanted files get stored in the computer, you must run a cleaner tool in such as great Tidy Up Mac tool.

http://scarica.tidyupformac.net
http://telecharger.tidyupformac.net

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
July 7, 2013 - 10:16pm

I would regard it as a glorious opportunity to get rid of the crud by very specifically restoring from backup the stuff I need.

d.

d.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
May 30, 2013 - 8:30pm

Migration Assistant doesn’t clean up all the cruft. It brings over your entire home folder. If you want a clean, pristine system you will be better served by installing software from scratch and manually migrating over what you need from your old system.

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
May 31, 2013 - 5:10am

Thanks Walter, as I figured. So even with the little check boxes set to just the pictures folder, I imagine all the application support files, Library etc for the user would transfer over?

So what would be the best way of ‘manually’ transferring over, considering the files would be all permissioned to my old computer owner and my computer is currently dead?

Can I setup a new user and just plug in the time machine drive and browse it and restore from it via the time machine interface? Or just drag stuff over from the finder interface? Just concerned with permissions again, in particular for my aperture library.

I know you can just finder drag to copy the aperture library from any old external drive, but that’s because they tend to not have permissions enabled, but a time machine drive does.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
June 1, 2013 - 5:42am

I cannot remember the granularity to which Migration Assistant lets you select what gets migrated over. For example, I don’t know if it lets you get more granular than a user’s entire home directory. I don’t remember if you can navigate into the home directory and just get specific folders like Pictures, Documents, Movies, Music and leave out Library where all your preferences, caches, etc are stored.

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
June 1, 2013 - 9:56am

Thanks anyway for the advice.

I think when I get a new computer I’ll just do a user home folder migration. I might keep the cruft, but hopefully stuff will at least work, like my mail settings and iTunes syncing.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?