You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Turn off Aperture Events #1
Kenny Powers's picture
by Kenny Powers
March 26, 2011 - 2:43am

Is it possible to just eliminate the Events folder all together in Aperture? I never use Events and its just piling up with garbage really. Tried to find a way to do this but have not succeeded. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 26, 2011 - 2:51am

Kenny,

Events is simply a view of all your Projects, and can’t be disabled.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
March 26, 2011 - 7:52am

Kenny,

I’m not sure what “Events” folder you have but I have an idea. Did you import your iPhoto library? If so, Aperture placed all of iPhoto’s events converted to projects in a folder it titled “Events”. If this is what you did, you can move all of your new projects made from those iPhoto events out of this folder and you can delete the folder.

Your statement about it piling up with garbage is troubling though. Can’t imagine what that means.

Tom

Thomas

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
March 27, 2011 - 9:29pm

Kenny

I don’t have an ‘Events’ folder either, perhaps it’s something that came with an import from Aperture. Just to amplify what others have said, and assuming it’s what I think it is:

It should contain stuff you have elsewhere - it’s just an alternative view, there are no duplicate files held.

If you are seeing files that you have deleted or rejected in their home projects there’s something wrong, tell us more.

d.

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 28, 2011 - 12:25am

I’m assuming that by “Events” he’s taking the terminology from iPhoto. An “Event” in iPhoto is a “Project” in Aperture. This is the view I was saying can’t be hidden… [screenshot]

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Kenny Powers's picture
by Kenny Powers
March 29, 2011 - 3:00pm

Here is some clarification. Yes I did import from iPhoto. Thus I think the reason for the Events. I have all the Events in one folder but its just massive with Events and Rolls. I tried to delete all of them but hesitated when it said Masters would be deleted if I did so. I want to eliminate the Events all together because viewing on Apple TV is a nightmare when just trying to scroll to get to an Album I created. Basically it looks like an event was created for every import before I switched over. Looks like over 2000 event titles with Rolls starting at 400 and going to 800 individually. Its pretty intense. Anyways I could just delete them all but will I really lose all my Masters in the Photo Library within Aperture?

thanks

Dr.Bob's picture
by Dr.Bob
March 29, 2011 - 6:31pm

You shouldn’t delete them now. Instead just reorganise/rename the way you want in to, then delete the delete any empty events/projects. It’s just simple drag and drop and you can create any structure you like.

That said, projects is somewhat bad terminology, it should have been replaced by ‘shoot’. Make a project for every photo-shoot, and organise those shoots in folders. If you want to combine images from multiple shoots, use (smart)albums. (for instance I have a folder ‘vacation’ with a ‘summer’ and ‘winter’ folder inside which I have a project for every trip I’ve made)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 30, 2011 - 12:24am

Kenny,

Absolutely, unequivocally, DO NOT delete the Projects in your Events folder if they are warning you of deleting Masters!

Each import in iPhoto created a new “Event”. On import to Aperture, those became Projects.

Two things you should check out to make sure you fully understand the terminology and behavior…

1) The Live Training I just did last week “Live Training Session 003: Folders & Projects & Albums, Oh My!” to fully understand the use of Folders, Projects and Albums.

2) This Tip entry (with accompanying podcast video) “Emptying the Trash in Aperture 3—What Really Happens?”.

As Rutger suggested, you can rearrange, rename and combine projects if necessary, deleting only empty ones, and you can make Smart Albums to make finding things on your Apple TV easier.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?