You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Transferring Photos From External Hard Drive into Aperture #1
Gus Zalami's picture
by Gus Zalami
November 10, 2013 - 1:41pm

I imported a large number of Raw photographs into an External Hard Drive connected to my Mac (OSX 10.9) using Aperture (V 3.5). I wanted to select and manipulate a certain number of photos and then transfer these photos in Raw format into my Mac's Hard Drive. Now that I have completed the task, I still want to keep all the photos on the external Hard Drive but also want to import and store the selected photos in my Apple Mac using the Aperture program.

The photos I want to import have been given a specific Event Name and are located in “Events” section of the Aperture Program on the External Hard Drive. However I am unable to open “Events” on the external hard Drive when I try to use the “Import” command on the Aperture program on my Mac.

Is this the right way to import Raw photos into Aperture from the External Hard Drive? If so what am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to import photos from an External Hard Drive ? I want to avoid importing photos directly from my camera into my Mac as I have limited storage.

I look forward to your comments.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 11, 2013 - 7:58am

In Aperture you manage Libraries at the highest level. Within each Library you have your folders, projects and albums. If you want to copy a subset of images from the Library on your external drive to somewhere on your internal drive, you need to export the event from your external drive’s Library into a new Library located wherever you want it on your internal drive.

If you make changes to the images in the Library on your internal drive, you can open the Library in your external drive and import the Library from your internal drive. Aperture will know that the internal drive Library was created from the external drive Library and ask if you want to merge the internal drive Library into the external drive Library.

So, if you have a top level folder in your external Library called Events, open that Library and select that folder. Then select the File > Export > Folder as New Library… then choose the location on your internal drive where you want the new Library created and stored. Aperture will do all the rest. After that, you can use Aperture to open the new Library located on your internal drive.

Gus Zalami's picture
by Gus Zalami
November 12, 2013 - 4:54pm

Thank you very much Walter for your help. You have been great help.

When asked to choose location, I chose Desktop then transferred Project from Desktop to the Aperture program in my Mac. Problem solved.

Thank you again and best regards.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness