Last post
Time Machine override? #1
johndpatton's picture
by johndpatton
July 29, 2012 - 4:58am

So when I try to open Aperture it says that
“Time Machine is backing up (library name)”
“(library name) cannot be opened until Time Machine is finished”

I have never gotten this before - great new feature of Mountain Lion??

Is there a way around this? Assuming I don't want to wait for 30k pictures to back up….

- Help me help you.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 29, 2012 - 6:40am

Apple recommend that you don’t actually use Time Machine to backup the Aperture Library. If you want to use Time Machine to backup the Aperture library, there’s no getting around the waiting, however, if you use a Vault in Aperture, then you can ‘exclude’ the Aperture library from the Time Machine backup.

To do that, go to System Preferences, and go to your Time Machine settings. In the lower right there will be an options button, click that. Then select the + button, and navigate to where your library is stored and select it to be added to the list of items which Time MAchine ignores.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 31, 2012 - 4:02am

Michael,

Can you locate where Apple recommends this? I was pretty sure that this recommendation went away a long time ago, but I could be wrong.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Josh Trefethen's picture
by Josh Trefethen
September 14, 2012 - 3:17am

I am getting this same error, however I do not use Time Machine at all. Any idea how to get past this? Is there a lock file or some permission issue that needs to be fixed?

Thanks!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 14, 2012 - 5:04am

Josh,

That’s disconcerting. Do you use any type of recurring backups system? Is your Aperture library in any way touching a networked drive?

@PhotoJoseph

Aaron M's picture
by Aaron M
September 15, 2012 - 8:28am

@Joseph
No, this is apparently normal. I am also being asked (as of today) to accept or deny Time Machine back up of my Aperture library each time I open Aperture. No explanation is given to me, as to why this is the “new” way of Aperture operating.

I have never had this problem before, nor have I ever used Time Machine (I choose not to, and use SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner, instead.)

For the record, I’m using Snow leopard OSX, not Lion OSX.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 15, 2012 - 9:29am

Aaron, can you grab a screenshot of that please?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Josh Trefethen's picture
by Josh Trefethen
September 15, 2012 - 10:21am

I ended up rebooting my Mac Pro, opening a different library, and then switching to the one that wouldn’t open - it now opens fine!

I do have 2 backups…one to a 3TB esata drive and a drobo as well…so I was covered in case it went belly up. I use rsync manually to incrementally back up the library - it is almost 2 TB now, yikes! but this was not happening at the time of the error. No idea why that happened…but glad I have access again!

Regards,

-Josh

http://JoshTrefethen.com
http://facebook.com/JoshTrefethenPhotography

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness