You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Syncing Aperture and iPod/iPad #1
David Edge's picture
by David Edge
January 17, 2011 - 2:07am

Help chaps!
How does Aperture decide which photos from a 'faces' set or from a smart album not to sync? It often - but not always - doesn't sync versions other than the first, but sometimes it does. But it's very annoying when you show someone your photos on a mobile device and a key shot is missing.

I've tried reindexing and rebuilding the library; I close Aperture before I sync and also close the Photos app on the device.

Any ideas?
d.

d.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
January 17, 2011 - 1:04pm

Are your photos “stacked”? If so, only the key photo in the stack will be used (i.e. the photo that is left-most in the stack)

Thomas

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
January 19, 2011 - 7:54am

Thomas
Thanks for that thought. I’ve checked and it isn’t that. However I have forced a rebuild of all previews and when I came to sync Aperture to the iPod the space required for photos went up from 5GB to 7GB. Hmmmmm. Now the iPod had previously reported that it had run out of space and I deliberately didn’t tick “don’t show this message again”. But I’m wondering if subsequent messages were suppressed…

Anyway although I now have the photos I was missing the totals still don’t tally so if anyone has any further thoughts.

Your suggestion did set me going down another line of thought. Stacking would be a good way of hiding from the iPod and screensavers all those photos that you don’t want other people to see - for example other people have a smaller appetite for photos of my sweetheart than I do!

cheers

d.

d.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
January 19, 2011 - 8:47am

Curiouser and curiouser! iTunes synchronises the whole stack, not just the pick to the iPod. Bah!
d.

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 20, 2011 - 12:23am

David,

You said:

Now the iPod had previously reported that it had run out of space and I deliberately didn’t tick “don’t show this message again”. But I’m wondering if subsequent messages were suppressed…

That’s exactly what’s happened. You can reset the alerts in the iTunes preferences, but yes now it’s just syncing as much as it can. Unfortunately I have no idea how it prioritizes!

As far as it syncing all images in a stack, that is curious as I would have said the same thing as Thomas did. I thought it synced only the stack pick as well. I don’t use iTunes syncing this way; check this article for advice on how I prefer to sync my photos to my iPad and iPhone from multiple libraries: Current Aperture/iLife Sharing Nightmares, and How to Avoid It Entirely. Frankly I’ve never been pleased with the syncing mechanism between Aperture and your iDevices, and started doing this years ago.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
January 31, 2011 - 9:53pm

Chaps

Sackcloth and ashes time. It does indeed sync only the stack picks; don’t know how I messed that up.

I do like Faces and Places so if at all possible want to stay with Aperture sync.

Thanks

d.

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 2, 2011 - 1:48am

David,

Aha, glad to hear it’s working as designed.

Faces you’ll lose if you do the sharing my way, but Places you don’t. The location data gets embedded in the file on export (it’s a preference that is off by default I believe, for personal security reasons [screenshot]) and the maps feature still shows up in the iPad and iPhone.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?