You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Switching from Managed to Referenced Library - Advice needed #1
Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca's picture
by Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca
March 22, 2014 - 6:40am

I currently have a 1.7TB managed library. Not much to complain about speed and I actually like the ability to use the Vault feature for backup. However, in preparation to move to a new MacPro later on this year, I was advised to switch to a Referenced library (since it won’t fit on the internal HD anyways). I have a few questions regarding this move and would appreciate any help to prevent any headaches during this migration.

My plan is to first make a backup copy of my library in a second drive just in case everything goes bad. Then I will use the “Relocate Originals”, year by year just to make sure things are going well. Few questions: what “subfolder format” do you use? I was thinking of using year/month/project since this kind of mirrors the way I currently have my library organized.  Any downside of using this scheme? Once I relocate the originals, if I move a photo from one project to another, it does not change its place where i is stored, correct? And last, I am still able to delete a photo from the library and have it moved to the OS trash, right?

My library is currently on a 3TB drive. I should be able to relocate the images to that same drive. Once I have all the images relocated, I want to move the library to a SSD drive I have on my MacPro. Is this going to cause the images to be unlinked? Will the library still be able to locate the images or I will need to “locate referenced files” for all images?

Any tips on how to make this migration smooth? 

Thank you

Raf

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
March 22, 2014 - 2:04pm

My advise is to move the entire,library to a 3 Tb drive.
Leave it in managed mode and vault,it on a 3 Tb drive
John

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?