You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Star ratings not showing up on external hd!! #1
David Hunter's picture
by David Hunter
July 12, 2013 - 10:48am

My star ratings do not show up on my photos after exporting them to an enternal hd, i have no problem with my keywords, but no star ratings..

David

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
July 13, 2013 - 1:44am

Not much to go on here, so some basic questions:

What software or other means are you using to view the metadata in the exported image? (If you are using PS, the ratings show up on the Description panel, not the IPTC panel.)
What’s the format of your exported images?
Your export preset has a checkbox labeled “Include Metadata”. I’ll assume it’s checked since you can see keywords, but is it really checked?
Does all the other metadata in the Info panel show up in your exported images?
You specifically stated “external hd”. Does the rating show up in images exported to an “internal hd”?

David Hunter's picture
by David Hunter
July 13, 2013 - 7:46am

exporting master (raw file) to ext. hd/go to said hd and open picture in preview/once there go to tool and then to show inspector and this is were i can see all exif info,keywords,etc. This is were i thought i would see the star ratings? As far as i can tell the “include metadata” is checked. Yes all the metadata shows up in the exported images in preview, sorry i am not understanding the “ratings showing up exported to an “internal hd”, isn”t that my hd on my computer?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
July 13, 2013 - 8:21am

For me, they show up in the IPTC tab of the Preview Inspector window, not the EXIF tab. The name is StarRating.

Thomas

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
July 13, 2013 - 11:21am

A hard drive built-in to your computer is normally referred to as an “internal” drive, e.g., your startup disk. An “external” drive is one that is attached via USB or Firewire, and is portable in that it can be moved around. Sometimes there can be differences in behavior of certain external hard disks.

At any rate, Thomas is correct regarding using Preview…do you not see the “StarRating” entry on the IPTC tab?

David Hunter's picture
by David Hunter
July 13, 2013 - 1:14pm

just keywords info is showing up in the iptc tab?? what am i doing wrong?

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
July 13, 2013 - 8:57pm

What camera are you using?
And again, what is the format of the images you are exporting? Is it JPEG, or something else?

by Thomas Emmerich
July 14, 2013 - 5:11am

Here’s a screenshot of how the ratings appear for me.

Preview Inspector Screenshot

Thomas

David Hunter's picture
by David Hunter
July 15, 2013 - 12:01pm

Camera–Nikon D3
Format–NEF file format, which is Nikon’s raw file.

thank you for your example, i see your star rating, and that is were i am looking (the IPTC tab), but all i have showing up is keyword info. Do you think being a raw file has something to do with it ?

David

by Thomas Emmerich
July 15, 2013 - 12:41pm

I totally didn’t realize you’re exporting your originals. I assume you are selecting the Include IPTC in the export dialog? I can’t explain why it would export keywords but not ratings.

Thomas

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
July 15, 2013 - 9:02pm

Yes, the fact you are exporting a NEF likely has something to do with it…

I assume you are using File|Export|Original menu item since that’s the only way you can export in NEF format. There are 3 options for metadata in the export dialog. Preview will only see keywords of the exported NEF file when you select “Include IPTC”, but it will not see star ratings or much of anything else for that matter. Photoshop, on the other hand, sees all of the IPTC correctly for all 3 options. Conclusion– Preview isn’t the best way to figure out what’s happening.

Try importing the exported NEF back into Aperture into a separate project. When I do this I can see all of the IPTC that’s in the original.

Why are you exporting NEF’s anyway? None of your edits show up in the exported file.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness