You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Smart album for recent edits #1
David Edge's picture
by David Edge
July 17, 2012 - 4:51am

I've exported my some of my better shots to the Macbook Air to allow me to play with Nik effect while on the train to work. I'd like to automatically pick the edits I've made, but can't see anything in the metadata to filter on. Any ideas anyone?

d.

d.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 17, 2012 - 7:22am

I’m not sure if there’s a way to pick only the recent edits, but there is an easy way to get at least most of what you want.

When you’re creating a smart album, in the upper right hand corner, select the drop down menu for “Add Rule” and then click adjustments. The option you’re probably looking for is “are applied” which will give you all the photos which have been adjusted using any adjustment. You also have the option to make selections based on specific kinds of adjustments, and you could also exclude photos based on similar parameters.

Selecting only recently edited images will be a bit tricker. Using smart albums you have the option to restrict based on dates taken, or import time. However, if you only want images which you haven’t sent to Nik you could do this by adding the “File Usage” option and selecting that the image hasn’t been exported.

Try out some of those options and see if you can get something that works, and let us know if you have more questions!

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
July 19, 2012 - 4:01pm

Thanks Michael

“File Type IS Externally Edited” finds all the photos I have exported to my ‘play’ library and have used Nik on - and hence that I want to put back in my master library.

Thanks muchly

d.

d.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 20, 2012 - 6:37am

Glad I could help!

Smart albums in Aperture are awesome, the only ‘problem’ is just how powerful they really are. :)

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
July 21, 2012 - 1:15am

Michael

We -ell…

What it doesn’t do (but iTunes) does it let you combine ANDs and Ors (i.e. ALLs and ANYs) - at least it beat Joseph :)

For example if I want all my Guthrie relatives and all my Edge ones and shots that are 3* and over that’s (Name includes Edge OR Name includes Guthrie) AND (rating greater than 2). The fix would be to allow smart albums to take their source from another smart album. The workaround is to create a relatives smart album, manually tag them ‘Family’ then create a second smart album for Family and 3+.

But liveable with in the great scheme of things.

d.

d.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
July 21, 2012 - 1:52am

Actually David there are some AND/OR possibilities in the Smart Albums.

At the top of the criteria window, you can choose whether Any or All or the criteria are Matched or Unmatched. Combine this with the fact that you can have multiple iterations of the same criteria and there you find yourself with a somewhat limited, but nonetheless conditional selection.

(As an aside … I strongly recommend that everyone using a Mac, use Smart folders/albums wherever they can. They are fundamentally a part of the Mac now and really, using computers to simulate a traditional filing system, is flying in the face of the whole bleedin’ point of computers and that is … they’re better at finding and organising stuff than human beings. :) :) )

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
July 28, 2012 - 7:09pm

Hi gfsymon
I’ve been pondering this and I’m afraid I still don’t get it. I was a computer programmer so not afraid of formal logic and I do remember that you could create any logic gate from one type of gate - NOR, I think. But could you give me a clue with a concrete example - (Name includes Smith OR Name includes Brown) AND Rating greater than ** - or any other for that matter.

ta

d.

d.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
July 29, 2012 - 5:04pm

David,

I did say … somewhat limited. So, don’t expect it to be as versatile as entering boolean searches in the Finder. You can only make a single choice of the Any/All Match/Unmatch However, you can do a bit.

(NB … the little visual element bug. When you stretch the criteria window, it only expands the first criteria field, not the other two).

Grant

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?