You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sharing Masters #1
Adam Field's picture
by Adam Field
October 6, 2011 - 3:59am

Hi

I would like to store all my masters on a network drive, and have aperture running on multiple computers (my laptop, my wife's, my mac-mini). I would like to be able to have aperture download from my camera's memory card on any machine and store the masters on the network drive in some sensible date-based hierarchy. Whenever aperture is started up, it should check the hierarchy for new files and automatically import them. That way, I can have the same libraries on all computers, and all the masters in one place. Is this possible?

Thanks

Adam

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 6, 2011 - 5:20am

Adam,

No, Aperture doesn’t work that way. Sounds ideal and a lot of people want that, but it hasn’t happened. The type of storage you’re talking about is called a NAS (Network Attached Storage), by the way.

Doing anything over the network is sketchy. In brief, you can NOT put the Aperture Library on a network drive, and while you technically are supposed to be able to put the Masters on a network drive, that functionality broke in Lion and people have been having loads of issues with it. I’d definitely advise keeping it all local.

Here’s an article I wrote last year on the topic: Network Drives (NAS) and Aperture

Also if you search for “NAS” in the search box (top left of this screen) you’ll find multiple discussions about it.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?