You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
RESTORE LIBRARY FROM EXTERNAL H.D. ..How? #1
Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
October 2, 2012 - 1:12pm

Situation – I have a 750 Gb External HD(LaCie) on which I had a Library, one that I still have to go into for client work. Last week when I went to open the Library I got the following message: MAC OSX CAN'T REPAIR THE DISKAPERTURE LIBRARYYOU CAN STILL OPEN OR COPY FILES ON THE DISK BUT YOU CAN'T SAVE CHANGES TO FILES ON THE DISK. BACK UP THE DISK AND REFORMAT IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

I got another message as well when I tried to access the Library, that being: APERTURE CANOT ACCESS THIS LIBRARY. MAKE SURE IT'S FILE PERMISSIONS ARE SET CORRECTLY.

Anyway, I copied the Library in question to a folder on another 2TB external HD and then erased and reformatted the 750 Gb HD. After doing so I verified the disk and all seems good according to Disk Utility. So now I'm not certain how to get the Library back on the 750 Gb HD so Aperture will recognize it and it will function as it had been prior to the corruption.

Can I simply drag the folder back into the 750 Gb Hd OR do I have to import the folder through Aperture with a destination to that 750 GB HD or is that something that should be done through or via the Vault? The copy to the 2 TB HD was about a 22 hour procedure. Thanks!

I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 11, 2012 - 8:23am

Craig,

Yes, just drag the Library to the other drive and open from there. You can double-click on a Library to open it, too. You don’t have to go through the Switch menu if you don’t already have Aperture running.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
October 2, 2012 - 1:41pm

I think I may have just found the answer to my own questions. Was playing in Aperture switching from one library to another and clicked on the Library in question and it opened, obviously from the folder on the 2TB Hd to where I had copied it. I didn’t think Aperture was that smart!! Soooo, I’m thinking I can just drag and drop it back into the 750 GB HD. Feedback will still be welcomed if this is not a good idea for whatever reason.

I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?