You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Resizing Workflow #1
J F's picture
by J F
January 5, 2012 - 4:53am

I’ve been using Photoshop Elements and Adobe Bridge on my Mac for nearly all of my organization and editing needs. I’m considering a switch to Aperture 3 for a variety of reasons not worth getting into here. I have a specific workflow issue I’m not sure how best to accomplish in Aperture – and considerable research has only made me less sure.

Using Bridge & Elements, I currently batch resize all photos below a certain ratings threshold to reduce file size. Basically, these are photos I want to keep for one reason or another, but they aren’t good enough to justify keeping at a large resolution/filesize. I do these batch resizing operations periodically, often resizing a few hundred photos at once.

It seems the typical way to resize a photo in Aperture is to do so upon exporting the photo. This is less than ideal for my purposes, as it involves creating a copy and retaining the original large file. Given that what I want to do is replace a large (filesize) image with a small one, rather than adding a small one, and that I’d like to be able to do this in fairly large batches, does anyone have a workflow recommendation? I do have Elements and like the way it handles batch resizing, I’m open to a solution that uses it for this operation while using Aperture for rating, tagging, and organizing photos.

Thanks …

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 5, 2012 - 8:09am

JF,

As the ad says… “there’s an app for that”. Or in our case, an AppleScript!

Check out the script “Convert Master File Format”. It does exactly what you’re asking for.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

J F's picture
by J F
January 5, 2012 - 9:55am

Thanks, this seems perfect.

FYI, the “add to cart” links don’t work on the product page

(It does work on the main Applescripts page, so I was able to buy the script.)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 6, 2012 - 2:59am

JF,

Oops, thanks for the notice… fixed now. And glad to hear that this script will do the job for you!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness