You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
referenced backup/transfer/perm storage #1
Scott Peek's picture
by Scott Peek
September 8, 2012 - 3:38am

Hi,

I have read through a number of posts on this forum about referenced files, and backups. I just want to walk through a scenario to see if my logic is correct, or if there is another way to save some steps.
———
Currently:
1 library - 100% referenced
over 250 projects spanning 2 years
over 100,000 images

- Library is on main iMac
- Referenced files on external raid drive #1
- external raid drive #1 is mirrored to external raid drive #2 for redundancy
————-
If I want to take all of 2011 projects and images and store them off of my two raids (thus putting them on 2-3 “offisite” drives) AND not lose all of the Aperture library mapping, I see having two choices:

1. Export each project and consolodate masters so then each project has it's own library. (Not the most user friendly for long term searches)

or

2. Export all of 2011 projects into a new library called 2011 and move the 2011 images to an external drive.

If I choose option #2, here is how I see the process flow going…

Creating new library (Exporting old year)
a. Select all of the projects to export in the left window using cmd click
b. Select Export / Items as a new library
c. Name library 2011 and make sure “Consolidate masters into exported library” is unchecked
d. after export is completed, Switch to new library named 2011

Moving files
e. In new library 2011, select all of the projects using cmd click
f. Select Relocate Masters for Projects and designate a new external drive for backup.
g. Once finished close Aperture
h. Copy new 2011 library to new external drive
i. Mirror new external drive once or twice for redundancy

Deleting Files (if needed to make more room for new year)
j. Go back to original raid mirror drive (since main raid files are already moved)
k. delete all of 2011 files
i. delete all 2011 projects in main aperture library

Is there any flaws in that process logic?
Is there an easier way to move / backup that many projects at once to long term storage?

Thanks for your help.
Scott

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 12, 2012 - 11:04am

Scott,

Sounds pretty good. Just some things to consider.

You don’t need to select the images themselves when doing operations on an entire Project. Just select the Project itself and run the command; that way you ensure you grab all images, regardless of the current filtered view. You can choose multiple projects at once, by the way.

Consider moving the 2011 Projects as Managed, since you’re moving everything to one drive. No sense complicating things, and this will keep them easy to move in the future.

However you do it, before deleting the old 2011 Originals from drive 1, disconnect it so that the system can’t see it, and be sure that Aperture is actually pointing to the right files. It’s much easier to plug back in a drive when something is not connected anymore because you missed moving a file, than it is to recover from a backup :-)

good luck

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness