You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question for our Lightroom experts out there: #1
Thomas Boyd's picture
by Thomas Boyd
June 19, 2012 - 7:22am

I'm getting ready to do an experiment that compares the import and browsing speeds for Aperture 3.2, 3.3, LR4.1 and Photo Mechanic 4.6.8.

I would like to know if what best LR4.1 setting are for importing images as far as speed. Right now I just have a source selected and a destination selected with no metadata, presets, or file renaming sent. Is there anything else I should look for that could slow it down. I want the test to be as fair as possible.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 19, 2012 - 8:47am

Sounds good … just make sure you don’t have it set to create a backup copy of the images or that you aren’t making a second copy anywhere …

I usually don’t let Lr copy the images over from the card to my computer, I do that in Finder and then reference the images when I import them into the catalog because it goes much quicker …

I’ll be very interested to see your results … though I have an inkling where Lr and Aperture will finish compared to each other …

Thomas Boyd's picture
by Thomas Boyd
June 19, 2012 - 9:03am

Aperture imports slow way down when a backup location is selected too.

Your workflow is typical with most LR users I see. They almost always have sort of work around. I always wonder if it’s a hold over from earlier versions or if they still feel the need to work that way based on current performance. I recently saw a shooter from France using iPhoto import and browse and then sent the selects to LR! Wow. That’s a convoluted workflow.

Bob McClenahan's picture
by Bob McClenahan
June 21, 2012 - 6:10am

The quickest preview rendering happens with it set to minimal. As you go down the list, the files get bigger and the workflow slows down.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness