3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question About Layer Mask #1
Michael McGregory's picture
by Michael McGregory
December 18, 2011 - 11:27am

Hi Joseph -

Love your presets and the site!

I'm starting to understand the concept behind the custom layer masks…but I can't seem to find any info about how those custom masks are actually created / imported into aperture. Any suggested reading?

If I'm asking the magician to reveal his tricks I'll understand if you can't answer :-)

Thanks,

Mike

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 22, 2011 - 6:02am

Mike,

Thanks, glad you’re enjoying them!

I haven’t ever gone into detail on how I do them, but the process is fairly convoluted. Basically I create a new Library (for safety and to make it easy to find the masks), paint a dummy mask on a photo in the adjustment I want to have a mask on, open the Package, dig into the masks and find the dummy mask, open that in Photoshop and paint/paste the new mask in. Save, close package, open Library, and there you go. Then I save it as a preset and export!

You can’t mess with the exported preset packages, so this is the only way (that I’ve found) to do it.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
July 10, 2012 - 7:25am

Awersome! Thanks for answering this question. It’s a really silly workaround that we have to do, but well done for figuring it out and implementing it so well!

Now, if only there was a way of copying masks from one adjustment to another, as well as inverting masks, as is possible in PS… or is there?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?