You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
PS Elements 9 #1
Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
September 24, 2011 - 7:43pm

I have just downloaded from the MAS PS Elements 9 and have set Aperture to use it as my external editor.

But I have forgotten the settings to save it back into Aperture.
Please can you remind me, Thankyou

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
September 27, 2011 - 3:43am

Joseph

Thanks for the reply . Thats exactly how I remember it to be with PS Elements 6.
With 9 from MAS it comes up with a pop up box where do you want to save it to and has defaulted to the file and folder created by Aperture 3 but I did not realise that. I just could not remember the pop up box. I must be getting old!!!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 27, 2011 - 3:47am

Graham,

So you mean when you hit Save in PSE9 it’s basically acting like you hit “Save As” and is asking where? That’s curious. And if you just overwrite the original file, is it all fine?

I wonder if this is some Lion thing… are you running Lion? I don’t have PSE9 but is it Lion aware, i.e. does it have the new Full Screen mode/view?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
September 27, 2011 - 8:32am

Joseph
Thats exactly what I mean see below for some screen shots. Aperture 3 makes a copy sends me to PSE9 I do some stuff then either click File/Save or Save As it both comes up with the Save As box as you can see below.After I say save yes etc it overwrites fine back in aperture.

Yes I am running Lion and I don’t think I can go full screen not with ∧⌘f and can’t find anything similar in the drop down boxes

Do you want to replace
Aperture 3
Save As diaolog box

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 27, 2011 - 9:45am

Graham,

Curious. Is PSE9 using a different native format that PSD perhaps? If you just go to PSE9 (forget Aperture for a moment), and create a new document and hit save, what’s the default format/extension?

I wonder if the same thing happens if you set the format in Aperture to TIF?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
September 27, 2011 - 1:20pm

The symptoms described here were common place with iPhoto and Photoshop (Elements) as an external editor. Because iPhoto only sends JPEGs to Photoshop for editing, as soon as you make an edit in Photoshop that added layers or something not compatible with JPEG, Photoshop Elements would want to save it as a PSD file which would bring up the Save As dialog. But Aperture is already sending PSD files (or TIFF which can also handle layers).

Thomas

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
September 28, 2011 - 3:31am

Joseph

New doc on PSE9 type some letters click save on the 3” floppy icon or click file save nothing appears to happen Click on either again without doing anything else and the save as dialog comes up. Type in some more letters on another new layer and nothing happens the first round of clicks but does again on second click.
Get this ! New doc fill with colour it fills on the one layer and doesn’t make new layer and which ever save you click on the save as dialog box comes up on first go.

Now back to Aperture 3. I Changed to exporting with TIFF 8bit and it did exactly the same as last post dialog box pops up etc EXCEPT it didn’t make any changes to the Aperture copy!!!! but didn’t ask if I wanted to replace existing ?

Brains hurting I’ll leave you to ponder.
If I get any more info I will post here.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 28, 2011 - 3:46am

Graham,

Very odd indeed. Unfortunately since I don’t have PSE9 we’re pretty much at the end of what I can do to help. Hopefully someone else here who actually has the app can chime in.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
September 28, 2011 - 3:47am

I think I have got it

I didn’t have my settings correct in PSE 9: discussions.apple.com/thread/2599807

See setting: [screenshot]

Thanks for you help Joseph
I now have another problem but think I can sort it if not I’ll be back

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 28, 2011 - 4:00am

Aha! That’s it then. Thanks for posting the solution Graham, glad to see it wasn’t so complicated after all.

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
September 28, 2011 - 4:27am

No worries.

User error…………………………….Again

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 27, 2011 - 3:15am

Graham,

There are no settings to save it back—that’s just how it works. If you’ve set the External Photo Editor to be PSE9 (in the Preferences under Export), then when you choose Photos > Edit With [editor name]…, Aperture will duplicate the file as a PSD or TIF (depending on your setting in the preferences), and launch the chosen app. Once you do your work and then save and close, and return to Aperture, you’ll see the image update there after a second or two.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness