You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Proxy Image for Edits? #1
Jason Jue's picture
by Jason Jue
February 17, 2012 - 11:42am

I typically need to edit large format tif scans (11k pixels wide) and Aperture runs too slow (loading) to edit (color correct, crop, etc) these scans at full resolution.

Does Aperture have a feature or way to have a lower resolution proxy image I can edit from and then proportionally apply that to the full resolution scan?

I have noticed that when I don't view my images at Actual Size, the images load a lot faster.

I suppose I can make my own proxy images of each photo but was hoping there might be a more integrated way.

Regards,

Jason

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 22, 2012 - 8:14am

Jason,

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what happens. I suppose the good news is always that processors are getting faster and cheaper, so hopefully as long as you’re willing to upgrade your computer as you upgrade your camera, things should stay in line. But yes, faster is always welcome, no matter what ;-)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jason Jue's picture
by Jason Jue
February 22, 2012 - 10:20am

Joseph,

Good news, Apple Aperture engineers have actually contacted me regarding the slow loading of 11k images; I submitted the bug via the Aperture Feedback. I gave them some sample images to reproduce the problem. Hopefully they can figure something out.

What this means also is that they are working on something new for Aperture.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 17, 2012 - 2:45pm

Jason,

No, Aperture doesn’t have a proxy that you can edit and reapply that to the main image. It does have a proxy-type feature called Previews, but the only edits you can make to that and have them translate to the master is metadata (keywords, captions, etc.).

When you’re in preview mode or looking at preview images (because the masters are not available), none of the image adjustments are available either.

The idea being that an image adjustment made on a smaller version of the file will likely translate differently to the big file. Admittedly most global adjustments would probably be fine, but certainly localized adjustments like brushes or retouching would not.

That’s not to say you can’t do it yourself, however.

You could manually create a smaller version of an image, do your adjustments on there, then lift/stamp the adjustments onto the larger file. However you’d have to do the lift/stamp individually, per image.

You could make the proxy images using the AppleScript we sell here called “convert master file format” with a little tweaking. What it basically does is create a JPG of your image (at whatever size you want) and import that back into Aperture. It then marks the original as a reject so it can be discarded, but modifying the script to not do that should be easy enough.

If you want to go down that route, but aren’t familiar with scripting, I can ask our resident AppleScript guru to chime in on this.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jason Jue's picture
by Jason Jue
February 18, 2012 - 8:18pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. It’s what I thought about not having the option of making a proxy. Hopefully the next version of Aperture (soon I hope!) will handle larger files better. They will need to, since photo sizes will get bigger.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness