You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Project views in 3.4x ... #1
John James's picture
by John James
November 25, 2012 - 11:55pm

So before upgrading when I was in Aperture viewing a photo or a project when I quit and reopened it would be right where I left off. Now when I quit and reopen it shows all the projects and I have to figure out were I left off and reopen that specific project.

Is there a setting to change this? Anybody?

John James's picture
by John James
November 29, 2012 - 12:29pm

I running OS 10.7.5 and Aperture 3.4.3.

I’m at a total loss. Nothing in the search field except grayed out “unrated or better”. Nothing typed in the search bar.

I usually view projects in browser view. Other view get the same behavior after quitting (command Q) and restarting Aperture). Nothing unusual. Prior to upgrading the program worked fine.

Is there a way to delete and reinstall the application? Maybe that would do the trick.

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
November 29, 2012 - 10:01pm

John,

I went ahead and upgraded to Aperture 3.4.3 to see if it made a difference, and I still cannot recreate the problem. When you say the search field is grayed out “unrated or better”, that is a different search field than what I was referring to. In my Library Inspector tab, right below the Library tab itself and above the the Aperture Library name (Projects, Photos, Place, Faces is right below that)is a Search field and to the right of that is a Gear box with drop-down options to “Add to Favorites”, “Keep Project and Albums Arranged By”, “Export Album as New Library.” That Search Field has a small magnifying glass that allows you to select “All Items”, “Favorite Items” or “Recent Items.” I notice if the “All Items: shows in the search field as grayed-out, when I close and reopen Aperture, that Project View is displayed. Maybe that is your situation. Otherwise, I am at a loss. I believe there is a FAQ on how to reinstall Aperture.

John James's picture
by John James
November 30, 2012 - 8:02am

I deleted the application and re-installed.

The issue I was reporting here seems to be resolved.

Thanks for the help folks.

John James's picture
by John James
November 28, 2012 - 12:40am

I don;t know. I upgraded to 3.4x on my MBP and it’s kind of a mess. Last night it locked up my entire system. Pffft.

Where exactly is the preferences file I should trash?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
November 28, 2012 - 2:36am

John

http://www.apertureexpert.com/faq/common-aperture-questions-issues-and-r…

Read it through before you hit the delete key.

d.

d.

John James's picture
by John James
November 28, 2012 - 11:03am

Nah, that didn’t do anything.

Every time I quit Aperture and reopen it shows the whole project list instead of where I left off upon quitting.

So annoying. So nobody else has this issue after upgrading. My iMac wasn’t upgraded and it works as it used to…open exactly where I left it.

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
November 28, 2012 - 9:28pm

John,

Could you provide more specifics as to what you are seeing? When you restart Aperture, is the Library inspector on the left-hand side listing all your projects, etc? What is showing on the right-hand side? What Viewer mode are you using (Browser, Split view, Viewer)? Is all you see on the right-hand side your projects? In other words, if you select View > Show Projects, is that what you see every time you restart Aperture?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
November 27, 2012 - 4:07am

Not as far as I’m aware - still works for me. You could always try trashing your preferences (and restoring them if that doesn’t work).

d.

d.

John James's picture
by John James
November 28, 2012 - 11:51pm

Carl…

• The Library Inspector on the left hand side does list all the project etc

• When I am inside a project working on it the “Browser” view is enables

• When I quit Aperture and restart, yes, Show Projects view is what always comes up after the update.

Maybe there is a setting that is wrong but I’ve tried everything and can’t get it to stop this behavior. I haven’t upgraded my iMac and it still works as I think it should.

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
November 29, 2012 - 4:33am

John,

I have been trying various workflow processes to see if I could recreate your situation and have not had much luck. I am running Mountain Lion (10.8.2) and Aperture 3.4.2. Which View do you use when editing the photos in your project? I normally have the browser in Split View and then go into Full Screen mode (F key) with the Adjustments Hud (H key) on the left. I also generally use Command-Q to quit Aperture. The only way I could recreate your situation was to accidentally place any character (for example, the letter “a”) in the Search field of the Library tab and then quit Aperture. When I restarted it, then it would show the Project View rather than the last Project/Photo I had been working on.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness