You are here

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Problem with saving images back into Ap3 #1
greg owe's picture
by greg owe
October 23, 2012 - 3:00pm

I just been hit with this problem and can't work out what's going on as it's never happened before and I haven't altered any settings.

I send a D800 raw file into Photoshop CS5 to edit and when I close the file and save it back into Aperture it's coming back as an 'Unsupported Image Format' window and if you look at the metadata the pixel size has shrunk to just 900 x 600. The file is a tiff but unreadable.

The only change I have made recently is to install the latest Nik Software suite. Could this be causing it? I already the older suite installed and it worked perfectly.

Any ideas why and what is happening?

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
October 31, 2012 - 6:09am

Geting the same Unsupported Image Format message on round trip to CS5 occasionally.
Only in the last few days. Don’t recall any updates that correspond to the behavior.
Quit and restart Aperture and PS problem goes away, until it comes back a couple hundred round trips later. No reason.
Huh?
John

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

greg owe's picture
by greg owe
November 1, 2012 - 12:17am

I had some more problems with it and then after opening Aperture again I got a warning window saying I needed to rebuild my library! I did a bit of research and it seems it’s happening to quite a few people and in some cases it hasn’t worked.

I went ahead and rebuilt it and it seems ok but I have hardly used Aperture since. Very random.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 1, 2012 - 12:34am

Greg, and everyone else,

The inconsistencies warning and need to repair may have been resolved — please see this post and try this yourself, and let us know in the comments there if it helped you or not: (Pretty well confirmed) Fix For Repeated “Inconsistencies… Please Repair” Aperture Dialog

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 3, 2012 - 2:44am

Greg,

Try the permissions fix anyway. Can’t hurt, right?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 24, 2012 - 7:40am

Greg,

Crazy! When in Photoshop, you’re obviously seeing the full size file, right… if it was just the 900 × 600 you’d have noticed.

Are you working managed or referenced? If referenced, right-click on this unsupported image and choose “Show in Finder”, and see what that file actually is. Is it really the small unreadable TIF, or is it the proper full size? If proper, can you reimport that to Aperture, and then what happens?

If working managed, then export the original of that file to locate it then repeat the next test steps above.

@PhotoJoseph

greg owe's picture
by greg owe
November 1, 2012 - 2:46pm

Thanks Joseph but I keep my library on a separate drive so not much help. I’ve been using Aperture today and it seems to be behaving itself.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 19, 2012 - 1:47pm

Andrew,

No, that shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve opened images from Aperture to Photoshop and expanded them (i.e. adding a white border) without issue, so I can’t see shrinking it being a problem.

I’m kinda at a loss of what to try next. I don’t suppose any of the recent updates fixed it?

@PhotoJoseph

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
November 10, 2012 - 5:05am

Umm - isn’t this the problem - I thought Aperture expected to get back the same size photo it sent to the ext app ?

“Yeh I get the full size in Photoshop and I actually reduce this from 7000px to 2000px before saving back the tiff.”

---
Andrew Mumford

Jon Dobyns's picture
by Jon Dobyns
November 6, 2012 - 12:16pm

Still having issues with image format after round tripping through CS5. Tried all above, no luck

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 7, 2012 - 3:17am

Jon,

Did your trials include the User folder permissions reset, as described here?

@PhotoJoseph

Jon Dobyns's picture
by Jon Dobyns
November 9, 2012 - 3:28am

Yes it did.

Jon

greg owe's picture
by greg owe
October 25, 2012 - 3:48am

Hi Joseph,

Yeh I get the full size in Photoshop and I actually reduce this from 7000px to 2000px before saving back the tiff.

I am using managed files and they won’t export. When I try I get an error window saying it failed to export. If I try and send the file back to PS I get an Editing Error warning window saying the image can’t be rendered for editing as Aperture does not support the image.

I’m stumped.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 25, 2012 - 6:15am

Greg,

Now it (at least partially) sounds like a permissions issue.

I want you to repair permissions on the library, and also to do it on the drive itself (using Disk Utility), but first just for interest can you relocate a RAW image outside of Aperture and to a different drive (make sure the drive has “ignore ownership” enabled if available; get info in the Finder on the drive itself [screenshot]) then try again on that image. The new Original (TIFF) will be created at the same place as the RAW and I want to see that this works as it should.

@PhotoJoseph

greg owe's picture
by greg owe
October 26, 2012 - 5:12pm

Well I went to do this last night and just before I did I tried exporting a couple more of the files that gave me the initial problems and guess what? They worked perfectly!! So after 3 days of Aperture delivering me unreadable files it appears to have stopped and rectified itself. Very odd.

I’ve repaired permissions anyway but one thing I have always noticed with my copy of Aperture is that whenever I send a raw file to a 3rd party app for editing and I don’t save it Aperture will still create and save a tiff file (copy) next to the raw file. It never used to do this but does it all the time nowadays.

Regards
Greg

Jon Dobyns's picture
by Jon Dobyns
October 27, 2012 - 12:47pm

I am having the same problem as Greg. This just started happening recently.

I am using referenced file system, I cannot duplicate the problem at will, it just happens sometimes. I round trip through CS5, maybe use NIK plug-in or Photomatix plug-in then back to Aperture 3.4.1

The file format is tiff. If I reopen the file from CS5 ( “Open Recent”) and then export to the Desktop then Import to Aperture it is fine. The file information is all the same.

I tried rebuilding permission in the Library, MacHD and Referenced HD, did not work

UGhhh.

Anymore thoughts?

Jon

Patrick Curry's picture
by Patrick Curry
April 28, 2013 - 1:49pm

I am having the same problem: When I access the Photomatix plugin in Aperture. I get an unsupported file as a result. The annoying thing about this it only happens to about 1 in 10 files! The file adjusts perfectly well while in Photomatix and then is unreadable when ‘Save’ is pressed.

Help

Patrick

Patrick

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?