You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Preventing Migration from Aperture to Photos #1
Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
April 15, 2015 - 8:33am

I posted this in the wrong forum (iOS Photos) by mistake.  Reposting here, and I’ll remove the other:

One quick question:   How do I make sure that my Aperture library does not migrate to Photos?

Background:

I have a good size Aperture library (440GB).   I have many hundreds hours of organization in that library.   I am in the middle of some final organizational steps getting ready for a migration to LR

I have been traveling, and have not updated my iMac to 10.10.3.    I keep hearing stories from people who can not longer access their photos at all in Aperture anymore.

Is there anything that I need to do… besides never clicking on the Photos app…. to make sure that no conversion occurs?

OK, I guess that was two questions.    I’ll play around with Photos after everything is safely moved to Lightroom.

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

Alex U's picture
by Alex U
April 15, 2015 - 10:21am

I have moved to 10.10.3 and the application PHOTOS showed up. I do not plan to work with photos and continue with Aperture to most probably move to Lr in a few months (I certainly want to wait for Version 6). Nevertheless I see absolutely no change in my Aperture. It works exactly as it did before. You might remember that a few colleagues here claimed that they could not see their photos in AppleTV on their TV-screen. This was not the case either in my setup. Further I created a folder with some photos in Photos in order to play around. This had absolutely NO effect to all my other apps. I can not understand why some users might have problems. I am in a Photo Club and no member there reported any problems with their existing Aperture setup. However it is better to be very careful anyway.

Best regards, Alex

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
April 16, 2015 - 2:06am

Thank you Alex.

I have been taking a lot of care.  I have multiple copies of my Aperture library just in case.   It really bugs me to move to LR.   Its bad enough that Apple’s decision to EOL Aperture forces me to change… but it would disastrous if they wiped out all of my work on my library too!

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

MikeA's picture
by MikeA
April 20, 2015 - 9:04am

I will say it here and I will say it everywhere else: in no way is Lightroom the only option in your post-Aperture world. For some reason, everybody (incl. Adobe) seems to assume that this is the case when it is not.

Especially if you can’t really stand LR’s approach and “feel”, I sincerely advise you to have a look at Capture One Pro 8 from Phase One instead. Plenty of info about this here on the forum btw.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 18, 2015 - 7:38am

It takes multiple steps to convert an Aperture library to Photos. After opening Photos, you need to pick out which library to open/convert from a list and click another button. I doubt you’d be able to do all these steps accidentally. There’s plenty of opportunity to cancel.

Actually, convert is the wrong word. It really migrates your Aperture library to a new Photos library and leaves the Aperture library intact. It does mark the library as migrated by changing it’s file extension to .migratedaplibrary. It also turns off Photo Stream in that library if you are using iCloud Photo Library.

If you really want to hide the Photos app to avoid opening it accidentally, see this TIP.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?