You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
presets previews (second Aperture monitor odd behavior) #1
roy baranes's picture
by roy baranes
April 7, 2012 - 9:05pm

Shouldn't I be able to see a preview in a small window on the right of the drop down menu “Presets” while selecting an individual effect on the fly? That function seem to have disappeared. Is there a way to put it back to work? I have updated to 3.2.3 and running OSX 10.6.8. Tried to close all running applications before launching Aperture, thinking perhaps it may be a memory issue, but still those previews do not show up. Running on 8 MB Ram. I'll appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 8, 2012 - 2:27am

Roy,

Do you mean this? [screenshot]

It’s still there; maybe trash your preferences?

However I see you’re on Snow Leopard; it’s possible that there’s a bug unique to that OS. I’m running latest Lion here and it still works fine.

If you trash preferences and it’s still not working, you may want to file a bug. Go to the menu Aperture > Provide Aperture Feedback.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

roy baranes's picture
by roy baranes
April 9, 2012 - 5:24am

Yes Joseph, the screenshot is what I meant and I don’t get that live preview.
I’ve got a hint that the live previews don’t work on the second monitor. Indeed I have moved the application window on the main monitor and live previews are back on. Why it should be so I don’t know but at least I got a way of seeing again the presets live previews which is greatly helpfull. Thanks very much for your support.
Regards,
Roy

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 9, 2012 - 6:43am

Roy,

Interesting… when I put Aperture on my second monitor, I see the preview — but it’s in the wrong place! [screenshot]

I wonder if it’s a VRAM issue. My iMac has 512 MB VRAM (which honestly surprised me… I thought I had more!). What does your system have? To check, go to About this Mac and click More Info… and it’ll be on the Overview, under Graphics: [screenshot].

I’m actually a little surprised on mine to see that (if you click Displays) each monitor is assigned the same 512MB VRAM [screenshot]. I recall back years ago that when you added a second display, the VRAM was split amongst the two. I wonder if it works differently now?

@PhotoJoseph

roy baranes's picture
by roy baranes
April 10, 2012 - 7:03am

Joseph hi. The NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M shows likewise 512 MB of VRAM (Total). The Intel HD Graphics is only 288 but I think that does not count since it is the NVIDIA in action when Apertures starts up. I really wouldn’t know how that VRAM is split with two monitors but perhaps you do have a point there. And you having the preview misplaced seems also like a really weird behaviour. Well, all we can say is that, when Aperture is moved to a second monitor strange things do happen indeed. I wonder whether more people experienced these kinds of second monitor glitches with Aperture.
Regards,
Roy

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 10, 2012 - 7:39am

Roy,

Most people probably use the main Aperture window on the main screen. I keep it on the second screen when I’m doing something like working on a book, and need to pull photos from there, but if I’m actually working on photos, I’ll have it on the main screen. So I guess few people see these issues.

I have reported them though, so we’ll see if it gets addressed.

I changed the title of this post too to see if it attracts any more eyes.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

roy baranes's picture
by roy baranes
April 12, 2012 - 2:41am

Ok Joseph thanks, I appreciate it. I’ll post myself whatever new info I can gather regarding this issue.
Regards,
Roy

Andres Tovar's picture
by Andres Tovar
January 9, 2013 - 6:37am

Hello,

I’m new to aperture. I just came across the problem you are describing. Any news form apple? the preview works fine on the primary monitor, but not on the secondary, they are way higher than the pointer.

Best

Andres

P.s. I have the new Retina with 1024M vRam

Bo9 Photography's picture
by Bo9 Photography
February 27, 2013 - 4:11am

I too ran across this issue using a MacBook Pro and a Thunderbolt display as a secondary monitor. In order to see your effects previews, it must be on the main monitor. So in the monitors/preferences/arrangment I simply drag the toolbar to my Thunderbolt monitor and the effects previews work.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness