You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Preset equivalent to NikSoftware? #1
Joe's picture
by Joe
November 10, 2013 - 8:58pm

Dears,

I am a big fan of NickSoftware - the main drawback for me is the roundtrip out of Aperture that generates a tiff file. For some picture, I find it overkilling to then have a raw file and a tiff… 100MB just for one medium rated pictures :s

To reduce this roundtrip, I am trying to find a preset that is more or less matching the filter that I am using the most:
> ProContrast
> Polarization

Have you any advise on this? Are you able to advise on the base for a such preset?

Thanks in advance,
J

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 11, 2013 - 7:43am

I find that contrast in the Enhance brick, and Shadows/Highlights/Mid Contrast in the Highlights & Shadows brick do all that I need for overall and selective contrast. You can have multiple bricks of each, and you can brush each of these adjustments in or out.

There is also a Polarize brush under the Add Adjustment > Quick Brushes drop-down menu. While it may not produce the same result as the Nik plugin, you should give it a try to see how close it gets.

I too hate round-tripping plugins and having the extra TIFF files. Any changes in the raw engine that might improve the processing of raw files is lost on those TIFF files. I also hate consuming the extra space of the TIFF files when the right adjustment bricks and brushes could do the same thing.

Joe's picture
by Joe
November 12, 2013 - 4:24am

Thanks Walter for the comments.

In fact, what I am looking is to build my self receipes through preset that will be matching well Nik Software. So let’s say that for polarization in Nik, it is equivalent to a preset with: Polarization at level X, Saturation pushed to level Y etc etc… at least as a base to start the work.

Not easy :s

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?