You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pre-print Resolution #1
Chris Iribe's picture
by Chris Iribe
March 2, 2010 - 7:20am

I believe that in Aperture 2 we could see the resolution in dpi(?) of the print target, and watch it change as one managed the size, borders etc. It appears in Aperture 3 that instead, you can tell the print process what your desired dpi should be. In Aperture 3 we appear only to get a small yellow caution icon in the upper left of the target warning that the photo may not have enough resolution to print properly.

Is there any way in Aperture 3 to see what your proposed print’s actual resolution is so that one can manage the print size, crop, etc. to optimize resolution for the final print. This can be important if one has made a substantial crop before attempting to print; or you have printer choices which have varying optimal dpi requirements.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 7, 2010 - 1:17pm

Chris,

I opened up Aperture 2 and checked out what you mean. In Aperture 2 as you slide the border slider, you had a display that if “Use best DPI” was selected, you saw the DPI change as you adjusted the image size/border/etc. Or, you could deselect it and punch in the resolution manually.

In Aperture 3, if you click the “More Options” button, one of the new options is “Rendering”. From there you have “Print Resolution: Auto”, with choices of 300, 72, or custom. Presumably what you’re missing is the ability to see the actual resolution in there as you make adjustments?

FYI when you’re cropping, you do see the newly calculated megapixels displayed in the crop HUD, and once cropped you’ll see the Pixel Size display in the Metadata tab show you both the actual cropped pixel size AND the resolution.

I see what you mean about this not being enough… I’ll look into it more (and in the meantime if I’ve missed the point at all, let me know).

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?