You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Photo's missing from aperture project/library #1
Robert Alamond's picture
by Robert Alamond
August 14, 2010 - 12:36am

I currently have aperture library with approx 35,000 photos in various folders and projects, roughly 40-50 projects, I have been using aperture 3 for about 4-5 months, and just encountered an issue with missing photos in a project.

I will briefly describe my work-flow.

Photos from Nikon D300s, D200, D40 (SanDisk Extreme 300X cards (SD & CF))

Imported to aperture3 with: CF cards (Lexar 5n1) card reader through USB port; SD cards through the SD reader on the 15” macbook pro 2009 model

Aperture 3 import settings:
New project (name project XXX)
Files copied to external WD 750GB hard drive…Dir structure as follows

WD/pictures/date/xxx.jpg or xxx.nef

I usually do nothing during the import/copying phase; however ocassionally will look through the images as the library is processing.

Once all processing is complete some tagging, and coding of the images are done

then adjusting

after that export versions of the 5star images to a folder on the desktop

from there create CD

Then delete folder from desktop

This has been my work-flow for the last 4-5 months with no issues.

Recently; however I have been experiencing crashes during almost every editing session, and what is more disturbing than the crashes is photos missing in project libraries, the library info has the photo count but cannot see any photos.

I have verified that I do not have any filters hiding images.

any help would be greatly appreciated; and any advice on work-flow would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 2:29am

Robert,

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with your workflow (although if you import from the CF cards a lot, you may want to invest in a Lexar FW800 reader—much faster than USB), so you’re not making any errors there.

You asked for advice on workflow—I recommend you check out the two eBooks (look right!); both “In Depth Getting Started” and “15 Tips” have workflow tips and steps in them.

As far as the missing files goes… you said “the library info has the photo count but cannot see any photos”. Do you mean the photo count that shows to the right of the Project name in the Library tab?

You also said that you verified that you don’t have any filters hiding images. Presumably you mean search filters. If you click the (x) to reset the search, remember that this shows you “unrated or better” (the default view). It’s possible that all images got tagged as “rejected” (not hard to do if you’re working fast and flying fingers around). Check the drop-down search and select “show all”.

Let us know how that goes, and we’ll take it from there.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness