You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Panorama Aperture Plug-in or a workflow #1
Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 31, 2012 - 6:13pm

Hi all, I know there were some posts here in 2010, 2011 but I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to how to go about panorama stitching with Aperture? I used to use Photoshop in the past but since I strive to avoid stolen software I am looking for a reasonably priced legal plug in or an app and a suggested workflow.

I only do this 2-3 times a year so I price point is fairly low. I own a Pixelmator (perfect replacement of Photoshop for $29) but it doesn't have the automated panorama stitching like Photoshop does.

Thank you.

BonnieB's picture
by BonnieB
August 14, 2012 - 1:27pm

Hi, I took shots for a panoramic photo this weekend, so was looking for information on stitching. Here is the link to the older thread: Panorama plug-in.

Here are the possibilities** I’ve found looking through ApertureExpert and my photosharing site:

* Autodesk Stitcher Unlimited
* Autopano Pro / or Autopano Giga
* Canon Photostitch software
* DoubleTake
* Hugin
* PTGui (=Panarama Tool Gui)
* Photoshop /Photoshop Elements
* Realviz Stitcher

I downloaded free trial of Doubletake and it successfully stitched the 15 photos together, however with a big a watermark.

(**As reference, not my recommendation)

Julien Hericher's picture
by Julien Hericher
August 14, 2012 - 8:52pm

I regularly stitch several pictures together (3-10 photos). I perform only landscape shots, and the best way I found to travel light (with no extra ultra wide angle lens) is to rely on panoramic software.

Over the different solutions I tried, my two preferred are in order:
1- Hugins (free, opensource)
2- AutoPanoPro (99€, not Giga, which is too expansive for my need).

I found that Hugins is better but the learning curve is stepper. The GUI is not very straightforward and the workflow can be sometimes confusing. But in the end, I always prefer the results over any other solution. Especially the Panini projection, which gives a more realistic feeling of the stitched panorama.

AutoPanoPro is very good too and easier to use but the lack of projection system can be really annoying (there is only rectilinear, cylindrical, spherical and Mercator), and sometimes despite the presence of horizon straightening tools, I never been able to achieve a decent result compared to Hugins where the Panini projection almost always output a panorama with a straight horizon and realistic perspectives with the default values.

So, I would definitely advise to dig in Hugins capabilities, and if it does not meet your requirements, you can always try a commercial software like autoPanoPro.

Hope this helps,

Julien

greg owe's picture
by greg owe
August 14, 2012 - 9:34pm

Before getting CS5 I used to use Calico from http://www.kekus.com/beta/

Used to work very well but I tend to stick to Photoshop CS5 for most things these days so don’t know hoe it compares to others. From what I’ve read most pro’s use PTGui.

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
August 1, 2012 - 6:34am

I may or may not have started 1 of those posts, or contributed to them, so I know what you’re talking about. To my knowledge I’ve not see a plugin that will do panos. The only way other than Photoshop I’ve seen and used is Hugin. It’s open source, and as such it’s not got the greatest usability that us Mac users are used to. And it’s certainly not quick. To be honest I’ve not been super happy with it’s output, but it could be because of my setup for taking the shots to begin with. I’m using Photoshop Elements which came bundled with my Wacom Bamboo tablet. It’s not perfect either, but I find it easier to

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness