You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Over-thinking Aperture iPhoto merge/unify #1
downunder exposures's picture
by downunder exposures
August 29, 2012 - 7:26pm

G'day. I've moved my Aperture and iPhoto libraries over to my MBP Retina. Ok so far. With 56G and 35G respectively and growing I want to keep these libraries on a portable Hard Drive. Thinking, thinking…I've cleaned these libraries up a bit and I'm ready to… merge/unify. QUESTION Do you actually merge libraries and what is the process? Open Aperture - File, Import, Library? Or do you simply switch between Libraries, in which case there are two. I reckon I've answered my own question!
Now do I move the Library to the portable HD and when I do - I thought Aperture kept quality thumbnails so that I can operate without the HD connected. Is that so? Phew! Do I have to go to Photos, Generate Thumbnails? Help this downunder man please!

downunderexposures

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 8, 2012 - 5:03am

DE (because “downunder exposures” is too much to type…)

Yes you can merge, but I recommend reorganizing photos in one library or the other so the two are similar before the merge, so that post-merge things are easier to find. You’ll inevitably be doing cleanup then too, but best to get off on the right foot.

To move the masters off the main drive, you use a command “relocate masters”. This is covered pretty well in both “ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3” and “In-Depth Getting Started with Aperture 3”. I’m going to do a Live Training soon (next week) on this type of management as well.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?