You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Other attachments than pictures #1
Luc L.L.'s picture
by Luc L.L.
November 14, 2013 - 4:46pm

Maybe a bad idea… maybe not .. .but what if we could actually attach other attachments then just picture formats?

People might want to share scripts or so… of course one could rename the file to a .png and attach it and explain it in the post, but maybe would be a nice option.  Just and idea/suggestion… .not sure if security wise this would cause any risk.

Regards,

Luc

Luc - Mini/MBP/MBPR - QNAP NAS, Nikon D5300, AW100, Sony TR3

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 15, 2013 - 4:30am

Luc,

you already can. Click on the link icon when making a post, and you can upload anything you want, and when you insert it it'll insert a link.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Luc L.L.'s picture
by Luc L.L.
November 15, 2013 - 10:12am

Testing to insert something else ….

NOT WORKING

When I click the Link icon and try to upload something else then a file with the extention of pictures, it complaints that the filetype is not allowed.  The upload box also states: “Allowed file types: gif png jpg jpeg.”

… Unless im still doing something wrong ….. btw for pictures once you’re getting used to this interface its quite cool… but only for pictures :)

Regards,

Luc

PS: Keep the mood going don’t be set back by these posts … its looking all good and it will be great once released! :)

Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
November 15, 2013 - 11:33am

Joseph if you want this feature to be enabled, you should probably write a warning and disclaimer saying that you’re not responsible for the stuff users upload / link to. It would take me less than 30 minutes to write a script that, when run, nukes the entire Aperture library. With a bit of good old fashioned social engineering, I bet I could get a few users to run it before you were made aware of the problem.

I can’t see any reason for allowing anything besides images, but maybe you had some special use cases in mind?

Luc L.L.'s picture
by Luc L.L.
November 15, 2013 - 1:32pm

Morten, Joseph,

I understand the risk, and would even accept that as a reason why you would not allow it.

On the other hand people (with the right intentions hopefully) may have some applescripts or so to share … just a thought… as I just some time ago wanted to share a script myself, its not that easy (anywhere) to share anything else then pictures (be it in AE, G+, …).  (I mean besides of course other web services that allow you specifically to share/distribute files)

Again … I understand if not possible/allowed … just raising the idea. Im not respnsible for any distribution either :)

Regards,

Luc

Morten Scheel's picture
by Morten Scheel
November 15, 2013 - 7:01pm

Yeah, it’s a difficult dilemma. Safety costs freedom and freedom costs safety.

It could also be argued that allowing external links in posts is just as dangerous as allowing random files.

Luc, you could probably share your scripts by copying them to your Dropbox’s public folder, get the link, and paste it in a post. I would love to see what other people are doing with AppleScripts.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 15, 2013 - 11:19pm

I think allowing images and ZIP files would be the solution, no?

@PhotoJoseph

Luc L.L.'s picture
by Luc L.L.
November 16, 2013 - 12:38am

That sounds fine, that would do the thing. But if in doubt, the public Dropbox comment would also be acceptable I guess.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 17, 2013 - 5:23pm

You should be able to upload zip files now, up to 25 MB. Please test. 

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness