You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Original Files unavailable #1
Susan Saudek's picture
by Susan Saudek
December 4, 2012 - 2:39am

I made sdome adjustments to my original file. The I deleted the original keeping the adjusted version. When I went to export the adjusted I was told that it can;t be done becasuse the original is unavailable. How can I find the original and reconnect it?

Scott Davenport's picture
by Scott Davenport
December 4, 2012 - 7:34am

Susan,

Given you deleted your original, I’ll guess you’re working with referenced originals. Hopefully you haven’t emptied your trash. Go there, find your original, and restore it. Or get it from a backup.

Your original is your digital negative. A version is a set of adjustments applied to an original. The negative doesn’t change - Aperture does non-destructive adjustments, displaying in real time your original+adjustments on the screen.

With your original missing, Aperture doesn’t have a starting point to apply adjustments. Hence the error you’re seeing.

If you’re still confused on originals vs. versions, check out the Basic Components Of Aperture portion of the manual. (The manual often refers to ‘Masters’, which was the prior term for ‘Originals’). Or better yet, buy a copy of Joseph’s “15 Tips on File Management” eBook.

Hope this helps some,
-scott

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness