You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Old Vault to New Vault #1
Gerard Lucas's picture
by Gerard Lucas
August 6, 2012 - 3:24pm

Aperture gave me a message that it could not open an old vault and needed to restart in order to uprgade the vault. I then closed Aperture but did not restart it yet.

The old vault that i tried to open only had 3 images that I had backed up elsewhere so I was not too worried and I formatted that particular external drive.

Upon opening Aperture again it started to try and convert the old vault (which no longer exists) but Aperture appeared to be doing something and then stopped but it did not give me an error message. It did not say the vault is not connected or anything like that. Obviously it also did not give me a message stating that the conversion was successful either.

I'm wondering if this will cause any problems with Aperture in the future or my library and vaults?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
August 7, 2012 - 7:24am

I think what happens when you restore from a vault created from an older version of Aperture is it restores to a library matching the version of the vault. Then when it tries to open the library it says it can’t open it. When you quit Aperture and restart it it will upgrade the restored library.

The dialog you see in this process is a bit misleading.

Thomas

Gerard Lucas's picture
by Gerard Lucas
August 7, 2012 - 1:11pm

Thanks for your reply Thomas. In my case though there was no library to restore because I formatted that drive before starting up Aperture again. Aperture automatically assumes that when it is retstarted that the old library will be accessible to restore it.

When I started up Aperture again it seemed to be doing something but I knew it would not find the old library because I deleted it but I never got an error message telling me that Aperture could not find the library. Usually software will inform the user if it is unable to perform a task.

I’m wondering if the code writers took this scenario into account and whether or not it will affect Aperture or my libraries in any way. Aperture does seem to be working fine at the moment.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?