You are here

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not showing originals or stacks, Aperture Not behaving correctly - About to dump Aperture "HELP" #1
Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
January 12, 2014 - 3:49am

Hi,

When I edit an image it doesn’t show me the non destructive original, just the edited image so I have no reference to the original preview. (the masters are in the library) Aperture does not stack multiple edits of the same image. Automatically stack versions is checked on. What’s weirder is it’s stacked different unedited images together in libraries from 2 years ago or so, that were never stacked . As I mentioned in a previous post, I lost all my defaults in the Inspector hud and and had to re add them manually, also all my defaults for import were gone and I had to re add them. The backup path for my raws was gone as well had to reset. The metadata as as well as updated info was all gone. Version 3.5.1  OS X 10.9.1

I did database maintenance, all images are managed, no referenced

Created a new database, no version stacking on editing 

How do I get Aperture back to it’s out box behavior. This is very frustrating, every time I try do something, Aperture does not work like it’s supposed to. I’ve been using this program since 2.1 and never had a problem

-PLEASE HELP– 

if this keeps up. I may well dump Aperture and go to something else.

Thanks,

Mark

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 12, 2014 - 4:21pm

One option is to create a new, empty library and then import your existing library into it. It will consume lots of space and take a while, but might clear up any issues that repair / rebuild is missing on your existing library.

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
January 13, 2014 - 4:36am

Hi,

Tried it, didn’t work

Thanks much,

Mark

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
January 13, 2014 - 6:58pm

Hi,

Created a new database, imported a group of raws, If I used a plugin - stacks work properly, get original (master) and edited copy

Editing does not create a stack. Some thing is corrupt in the install. It seems like it creating the descriptive file for the edit, but won’t let the master be viewable

Does anyone know how I can get a new install of 2.5.1, my copy comes from a serialized version of 2.x. (which won’t install from Mavericks) Then I will delete everything, plists, kexts, plugins, any support files for plugins, etc.Do the cleanest new install of Aperture. If I call Apple for support, it will cost me $49 and i don’t know if they will give me a new copy– I want the installer, just in case I have to reinstall again. It just seems like I’ would be paying for the program allover again, on the other hand it’s cheaper then that other company, Ado..something @$150 and start from scratch

Sorry if I’m venting, but this is frustrating.

Thanks,

Mark

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 13, 2014 - 10:00pm

2.5.1 or 3.5.1? If 3.5.1, you can delete your instance from the Applications folder, open Mac App Store, select Purchases, and download / install it again.

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
January 15, 2014 - 2:35am

I meant 3.5.1

If deleted Aperture, the app store wants me to pay $80 for a new copy

My original copy was from a serialized disk. Somehow app store could tell it was a legal copy and let me do upgrades. With no copy on my computer it doesn’t know I own it and asks for $80. This gave me an idea– I keep older copies of Aperture. I copied 3.45 in and it would’t let me open the database (version issue ) Went to app store and it let me upgrade to 3.5.1. Opened the database, but still no stacking, ARGH

Walter, Thanks for the idea,  It’s probably some corrupted support file. I’m thinking that i need to do a complete uninstal, search  and do a deep clean an remove any files related  to Aperture. Only thing is I’m worried wether the app will not run anew with out those files. It may be worth taking a chance because I think I may have to open a one time support call anyway with Apple, which will cost $49, either way

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
January 15, 2014 - 2:39am

Just tried opening an old 3.4.3 library in 3.4.3 Aperture, no stacks. It’s got to be in the guts. I think I will take chance a do a search and destroy and remove all the support files I can find, might save me $49.

Jeff McCaskill's picture
by Jeff McCaskill
January 15, 2014 - 5:49pm

Mark,

Now that you’re committed to doing a complete uninstall of Aperture, may I suggest using AppCleaner instead of trying to ferret out all the associated files. It’s helped me when other application installs have become corrupted, and saved me a lot of grief. I believe it can help you, too. Best of luck to you!

–Jeff

"... you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." --Émile Zola

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
January 16, 2014 - 1:24am

Hi,

I used a similar uninstaller. I also uninstalled all the plugins and 3rd party Apps. Reinstalled  - same issue

This is the weirdest thing. I can create a stack form an external program or from the menu (new version from original), but it will not do it automatically, at least i can manually create a stack so I can edit. Just a pain.  I filed a bug report with Apple( don’t know if it will do any good). If I don’t hear from them in a week or so. I will open a support case and get Aperture support working on it

I was thinking of doing a full backup, then formatting the disk, do a clean install of the OS and only install Aperture and see what happens. It’s just a lot of work and I’m not convinced it’s an OS problem

Scott's picture
by Scott
January 31, 2014 - 5:36pm

There is an option in preferences which enables and disables automatically creating a version. Maybe that box got unticked.

Scott's picture
by Scott
January 31, 2014 - 10:22pm

its under general. auto stack new version.

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
February 6, 2014 - 3:37am

It’s checked, that’s the first thing I looked at

smb's picture
by smb
February 6, 2014 - 3:30pm

Preferences> Advanced> Create New Version When Making Adjustments

???

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

Mark Rosen's picture
by Mark Rosen
February 9, 2014 - 4:36am

Bingo– I always looked under preferences–> general – which was checked. I wonder how it got unchecked under advanced. Maybe when I lost my metadata, workflow, and import setups, I didn’t go there as far as i can remember. Now I can put my hair back in !

Thanks so much,

Mark

Rafter's picture
by Rafter
February 9, 2014 - 7:47am

I’m so glad you got it working again.  I was thinking about how you lost your presets…….

In the future you can make a back up of your Preferences a couple of ways. Export your saved effects, and Keywords. Also you can make a copy of your Aperture plist. Here’s an excerpt from the Aperture Troubleshooting basics page. 

Move the user created presets, keyword lists, and so on…

1. Quit Aperture.
  2. In the Finder choose Go to folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture in the Go to the folder” field. Press the Go button.
  4. Move the contents of this folder to your Desktop
  5. Restart your computer if you’re using OS X Mavericks.
  6. Start Aperture and see if the issue is resolved. Note: Permanently removing these files will delete presets, metadata sets, keyword sets, and so on. If moving these files to the Desktop does not resolve the issue, move them back to their original location to restore the presets, adjustment chain presets, and metadata sets. In no case will removing these files affect metadata, keywords, or adjustments already applied to images.
smb's picture
by smb
February 10, 2014 - 8:48pm

Glad it worked.

Have no answer for lost hair!

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

Federico's picture
by Federico
October 18, 2014 - 5:26am

Hi Mark, et al. I just found an explanation to this problem, in the following link. I, too, tried a zillion hours, as you did, to no avail, until…..:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15887855

In a nutshell, when adding Preset Effects in the Import Settings, it will not create versions afterwards with subsequent editing. Removing those, versioning behaves as expected.

Some arcane logic could be that those masters are already edited, hence “versions” for Aperture, and will continue editing the “version”….  but quite confusing IMO. If at least Aperture actually renamed them ”Version 2” after import and batch-processing, then one could notice work is being done on a Version, hence no copy.

Yet the Master remains hidden -could not solve that- unless one removes any Effects when importing. Or manually creates a version for each photo to edit, as you mentioned.

Thanks W.S. Wellington, from the above link, for the solution!

Fred

Federico @ Buenos Aires, ARG

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?