You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
No more previews/thumbnails in Browser? #1
don eno's picture
by don eno
September 16, 2010 - 8:51pm

I am not sure what has happened. I reorganized some files & projects, but all was done within A3, and not in Finder.

I use to be able to go to Photos (Under Library at left), and see previews all the photos in my library, regardless of what folder or project they were in. This was useful for finding most recent photos, or doing a quick date range find, without having to do a full search or hunt around in my projects & folders. The screen is just black no matter if I chose split view or browser styles.

I recently upgraded to a DSLR, and I have a great many older JPEG photos as well. And I use Time machine as a backup. Can a large number of files prevent Previews in “Photos”? Could some some Time Machine or A3 Vault glitche do it?

I want to be able to preview all photos at once- but can A3 do that only up to a certain number of files or overall library size?

Thx

don eno's picture
by don eno
September 17, 2010 - 12:03am

more info- I am running an iMac 2.93 w/ 4g memory and the latest 10.4 OS, w/ 1T HD (about 300 G used so far). I backup to a LaCie 1T drive via TM. I do not manipulate images or files in Finder, only in A3.

I like to use the Library Preview (Photos at left) as away to see recent photos before organizing them into Projects. If i shoot multiple projects in a given day A3 imports it all asa single project and i have to reorganize anyway. And I use to be able to easily scroll around the entire library to visually recognize and find people, places, wildlife, etc. Unless each image if full of the metadata I need, doing a search may not find it for me. I am just more visually oriented when it comes to browseing/searching.

So, maybe I have come up against the wall of too many files in my Library?

I will review my settings and see if there are any Preview/Thumbnail settings that may be adjusted.

I still find it odd though, that yesterday I was able to see the entire Library via “Photos” browsing, and today I cannot- even though I have not added any significant amount of images.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
September 17, 2010 - 11:12am

I don’t know if it’s related to your problem, but you state you have the “latest 10.4 OS”. According to the Aperture specifications page (http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/) Aperture 3 requires at least 10.5.8 or later or 10.6.2 or later. Your stated OS does not fall into that range.

Thomas

don eno's picture
by don eno
September 17, 2010 - 9:44pm

Sorry- i meant OS 10.6.4.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 19, 2010 - 3:37pm

Don,

I don’t think you said how many images you have, but that’s not the problem. If you just upgraded to a dSLR, I doubt you have that big of a library (compared to a full-time pro with hundreds of thousands of images—which Aperture can handle just fine).

Sounds like some kind of database corruption. I’d do a rebuild, but PLEASE first ensure you’re backed up. Because your library is in a state now that’s “not good”, don’t run the Vault again if you haven’t recently. Drag a copy of your library to another hard drive where it’s safe.

Quit, and relaunch Aperture while holding Command and Option. You have three options of rebuild; do the first one first,that won’t take long. That is unlikely to fix the issue, but check anyway. Then repeat (quit/launch w/command-option) and do the second one. If that doesn’t solve it, repeat with the third level rebuild.

Let us know how that goes.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness