You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
NIKON D800 - NEF to DNG #1
Maureen McPherson's picture
by Maureen McPherson
August 17, 2013 - 9:16pm

Hey all: I recently purchased a Nikon D800 that I love, with the exception of the huge file sizes. Probably something I should have looked more into before I bought! But, I do love the camera and want to make it work. Soooo, I have been doing some research on converting the files from NEF to DNG before importing into Aperture which will drastically reduce file size. But, I'm only a mediocre tech person at best! So, Is there anyone out there that can explain this process to me? I have no idea how to turn the file from a NEF into a DNG and then how to get it into Aperture.

Milt Anglin's picture
by Milt Anglin
August 17, 2013 - 9:25pm

Download Adobe DNG Converter. Select photos to convert. Run the converter app. Then import into Aperture. I checked on some that I have done that way and found about a 10% reduction in file size. Results may vary.

Milt

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
August 17, 2013 - 11:30pm

Although fairly dated (not much within the past year) there’s a lot about DNG on this site. Just do a search for DNG.

There’s also a discussion at http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=5169 that you might want to look at. Take it with the usual forum grain of salt, but some of the cons mentioned are worth considering.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness