You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nikon D600 Workflow #1
Mike Boening's picture
by Mike Boening
September 30, 2012 - 4:53am

I am wondering if anyone has the new Nikon D600 and what your workflow is till we get Apple to update Aperture to recognize the RAW type? I am shooting Raw and JPEG so I can process the JPEGs now. Would it be better to convert the NEF files in View NX2 software and make them TIFFs? The file sizes are so large I am not sure I want to do that… Just wondering what anyone else might be doing?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
September 30, 2012 - 8:16am

Mike,

I don’t have the D600 but your situation is not unique and I’ve run into it before with various cameras. What I did was shoot RAW+JPEG as you suggest and switched to the RAW when the support was provided.

If your exposures are good enough in camera and you don’t need the extra latitude RAW provides I would certainly skip that idea. It’s a bunch of extra fiddling around and will take up much more space. You can always pick images individually later and decide to export the master (RAW) file and work with it in NX2.

There’s a couple of options to think about when importing RAW+JPEG. You have the choice of importing Both (Use JPEG as Original) or Both (Separate Originals). If you select the first option, both the RAW and JPEG appear as a single master in the library and you use the menu to determine whether Aperture uses the RAW or JPEG. If you later decide to get rid of the JPEGs after RAW support arrives, you can’t do it. If you use the latter option you’ll see both the RAW and JPEG as separate entries in Aperture and you can get rid of the JPEGs later if you want.

Thomas

Mike Boening's picture
by Mike Boening
September 30, 2012 - 12:30pm

Thomas, Thanks and that sounds great. I appreciate the help!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness