You are here

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nik software #1
Neil Turrell's picture
by Neil Turrell
March 31, 2014 - 4:25am

I noticed that Joseph uses plenty of Nik plugins and editors, and that they all come up in a list when he right clicks.  I’ve downloaded the Nik bundle, but they don’t seem to be integrated with Aperture.  Is there something I should do after downloading the software?

Traveller858's picture
by Traveller858
March 31, 2014 - 10:44am

Not sure about the “right click” in your question. Here’s how it looks for me -

Select “photos” from top menu bar. Then move down to “Edit with Plug-ins” that opens up to show all plugins available not just the NIK ones. At least it should do.

Another thought - did you have a choice to select use as plugin with Aperture when loading the NIK tools. 

Regards, Barry

Gary with a big Mac's picture
by Gary with a big Mac
April 1, 2014 - 3:21am

I got this when I right clicked

And this by clicking on Photos

I would go to Nik support and sort it out, I suspect you may have missed a selection in download

I vaguely remember an option, “use as stand alone or plug-in” but my memory at my age may be out to lunch

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed

smb's picture
by smb
April 1, 2014 - 4:12am

What am I missing? Those are the NIK plug-ins. Color Efex, Define, HDR, Sharpener, Silver Efex and Viveza. 

When you click Color EFEX does your image open in this NIK editor?

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

Neil Turrell's picture
by Neil Turrell
April 1, 2014 - 4:26am

Thanks for the comments.  Interestingly, I downloaded the Nik bundle to my macbook air (high spec) and I didn’t have any difficulty with locating the plugins as in your screen shots from within Aperture, but the problem remains with my iMac which is a nuisance because, naturally, it’s my main work platform.  I’ve tried re-installing, but no luck so far.  I’ll keep trying!   

smb's picture
by smb
April 1, 2014 - 4:34am

OOPs, sorry Neil, I thought Gary’s post was from you. 

His screens are exactly what you should see with the plug-in version of NIK.

When you install NIK on the iMAC do you see the down load anywhere?

Are you running the same OSx on both computers?

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

Neil Turrell's picture
by Neil Turrell
April 1, 2014 - 5:02am

Hi Stan; I have the same OSX (10.9.2 from memory) on both machines. The only difference in download that I can see is that when the iMac offers me the opportunity to select the downward pointing green arrow, I can see a few folders underneath that, containing exe and trash files, which the MacBook Air did not have. When the installation on the iMac is occurring, it does say that it is installing files to Aperture. Hmm!

smb's picture
by smb
April 1, 2014 - 2:02pm

Can you find the NIK folders in Applications?

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

Neil Turrell's picture
by Neil Turrell
April 1, 2014 - 4:18pm

Yes they are, and despite the installation reporting that NIK was succesfully connected to Aperture 3.5.1 I can only open any of the Nik bundle by attaching it as the external editor in Aperture preferences. Nothing appears under plugins. Is this a path issue?

Neil Turrell's picture
by Neil Turrell
April 3, 2014 - 2:11pm

Success at last.  I uninstalled Aperture and the plugins miraculously appeared when I reinstalled.  Now I just need to learn how to use the Nik software wisely!

Gary with a big Mac's picture
by Gary with a big Mac
April 3, 2014 - 2:19pm

Great news Neil,

Glad you have it sorted, whats PP software without a glitch or two!

Regards,

Gary

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed

smb's picture
by smb
April 3, 2014 - 3:31pm

Great. FYI, I have found the help services at NIK to be excellent, should something further crop up.

Just a guess, but reinstalling somehow triggered the PLUG-IN to Aperture as opposed to the full stand alone suite.

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

Traveller858's picture
by Traveller858
April 3, 2014 - 3:38pm

Glad it’s all worked out for the best Neil. Enjoy using it.

Regards, Barry

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?