You are here

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
New RAW Update #1
Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
March 15, 2012 - 9:33am

This update adds RAW image compatibility for the following cameras to Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11:

• Canon PowerShot G1 X
• Nikon D4
• Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1
• Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ35
• Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ38
• Samsung NX200
• Sony Alpha NEX-7
• Sony NEX-VG20

For more information on supported RAW formats, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4757.

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
October 4, 2012 - 4:04pm

Very disappointing. The Fuji X cameras are gaining significant traction amongst users who want something good enough that they can leave the DSLR behind when travelling.

This is becoming a problem - I cannot even get insurance over USD20,000 equivalent for my camera gear if I am overseas working with it, and that is not enough for covering a full 2 body kit.

Come on Apple.

Chris Mielke's picture
by Chris Mielke
October 4, 2012 - 8:21pm

When was the last RAW update? I think it’s been awhile. I don’t think the Nikon D600 is yet supported and many other cameras released at Photokina. I just checked and the D600 isn’t yet supported. Hopefully when the next update is released we will see some of the Fuji X cameras. Frankly I blame Fuji as much as I blame Apple, maybe more.

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
October 5, 2012 - 3:40am

The camera makers are partly to blame, I agree.

When Apple update iOS, they release developer versions to app makers 6 months ahead of launch so that they can get their apps ready for the new version.

I still think camera makers should be releasing file algorithms to those that want them at least 6 months ahead of product launch. I also think it is well past time that camera makers stopped issuing software - I have yet to see one do that properly, with the exception of Leica who bundle Lightroom.

Nevertheless, Adobe has had support for the Fuji X cameras for several months now and Apple has not.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
October 5, 2012 - 4:40pm

Marcus said :

I also think it is well past time that camera makers stopped issuing software - I have yet to see one do that properly, with the exception of Leica who bundle Lightroom.

A lot of people like Hasselblad’s Phocus software. Equally, Phase’s C1 is considered by many to be the best. Some older software in the early days of digital imaging was excellent, notably Eyelike Capture Pro, which was probably the fastest ever.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 16, 2012 - 12:30am

Thanks Tim!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
March 16, 2012 - 4:08am

Sadly Fuji X-Pro not in there! Hope that is not too long in coming as mine arrives next week.

Tim's picture
by Tim
May 31, 2012 - 6:23pm

still missing RAW support in aperture for Fuji X10 as well

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
May 31, 2012 - 7:45pm

Blimey - the X10 has been around since ages ago!

They really are getting slow.

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
October 6, 2012 - 7:29am

To be fair the number of Hassy users is, however, a mere drop in the ocean.

I note this morning a Lightroom update that brings support for Fijifilm’s new X series body the XE 1.

So that’s two X series bodies supported (maybe 4 actually if the X100 and X10 are supported) by LR before Aperture has managed a single one….!

Chris Mielke's picture
by Chris Mielke
October 7, 2012 - 12:43am

I can’t agree with you more Marcus. However (you knew that was coming didn’t you?) I can’t think of another major RAW converter that supports the Fuji Cameras either. DXO or Capture 1 don’t have it. Lightroom/Adobe is OK at best. I wish there was something out there and it was good.

Tim's picture
by Tim
October 4, 2012 - 2:23pm

wondering about Apple’s strategy concerning which RAW files to support and which not. Talking about the Fuji X10 … it’s supported by Adobe Lightroom but it’s not supported by Aperture 3.4 :-(

dissapointing

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
October 5, 2012 - 11:29pm

I tested the Capture 1 software raw processing against Aperture and felt Aperture was spot on. I made a little saturation + move and a Definition + move and I was good. I only used a one image and did not use an image with skin so I suppose not a complete test. I didnt feel the need to buy Capure1. Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness