You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Raw Processing Engine? #1
Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
October 16, 2012 - 3:26am

I am using Aperture 3.4.1 and I just noticed when I went back to review some shots taken in early September of this year that Aperture gave me the notice that they were processed with an older Raw Processing Engine and do I want to Update.

Did we get a new Raw Processor with the recent point-one release?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 16, 2012 - 6:49am

Larry,

I think that was with 3.4, not 3.4.1, but I could be wrong. I couldn’t update my system until 3.4.1 was out.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
October 16, 2012 - 10:01am

Thank you Joseph.

I have noticed that the behavior of the Raw Fine Tuning controls have changed a bit. In the past, with my 5D MkII -CR2 files, the Raw Sharpening control defaulted to about 80% of max. And, there was no visible change in the image when adjusting that control. Recently however, the slider is defaulted to 50% and adjusting it makes a huge difference in sharpness/artifacting.

Is this part of the new Engine, or a Version 3.4 change, or my imagination?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 17, 2012 - 3:22am

I doubt it’s your imagination if it’s that dramatic! So good news then; the engine continues to improve.

@PhotoJoseph

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
October 17, 2012 - 1:44pm

Another obvious change is that the “Edges” slider is now called “Details”. And, the new Raw Processor just works better. I get nice clear, sharp images.

However, I’m not sure what is going on because I only see the new Raw Processor with 5D Mk II files. My 40D shots still seem to happily use the old processor with no Update notice.

I hope somebody can explain this behavior, I would like to use the new processor for all of my shots. I’m a bit confused.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 18, 2012 - 2:27am

Larry,

Interesting observation. I’d guess that simply means that the RAW processing for the 40D was not updated, but for the 5D MK II it was.

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 18, 2012 - 2:34am

I saw something similar. My T4i files could be reprocessed but my T2i files couldn’t. I suspect they only updated for cameras where there was some reported issue.

Thomas

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
October 18, 2012 - 11:20pm

I didn’t see mention of the new raw processor in any of the recent release notes. It also seems a little unusual because it was not just a tweak, but they changed the behavior and the name of the sliders. Seems odd to make those kind of changes for just a few cameras.

I wonder if it was an inadvertent inclusion of a beta feature in the release version. Is this a peak under the curtain at a 4.0 feature? I can always hope ;-)

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
October 20, 2012 - 12:33am

Okay, maybe I have too much time on my hands, but this is really bugging me. Aperture added anew raw processing engine (4.0), with a new interface that only works on specific cameras. I saw no mention in the release notes, no explanation of what changed. However I found for most of my images that it works better at sharpening than the old version. On one image it made obvious changes to the overall color of the image.

I found this thread on the Apple Aperture Support Forum - https://discussions.apple.com/message/19957317#19957317
Similar observations are discussed there. One poster added this link to an Apple note from late September with a list of supported cameras. However, the list is incorrect in that it lists the 40D as supported, but in my hands it is not. See that list here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3946

Any information on what was changed in the new processor would be appreciated.

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
October 20, 2012 - 1:25am

Apologies for having to add a correction - My post immediately above referred to an Apple list of supported cameras for the new Raw Processor. On closer review, that list was for an earlier update (one year ago) to the raw processor. I can only infer that they did something similar in Aperture 3.4.1 this month, and left off more of the older cameras (such as my 40D).

Gray Fox's picture
by Gray Fox
October 22, 2012 - 4:51am

My 40D files still use the version of the Raw processor that has the Edges slider. Aperture gives me no option to process with a newer Raw Processor. The 5D MKII files, on the other hand, generate an upgrade message, and when I reprocess with the newer processor, the Edge slider becomes a Details slider and the sharpening slider is much stronger. I’m not sure about Noise Reduction, that may be a little better also.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 20, 2012 - 11:59pm

Larry,

I’m not surprised to see the changes for specific cameras. Remember all the highlight tone priority issues we were discussing here; perhaps this new engine is to fix those issues.

Regarding your 40D, it’s on the full list which I think is what you’re saying in your updated post, so are you able to process your older RAW 40D files?

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?