You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
NAS, drobo, master files not connecting..... I know its a common topic - but cant find the answer!!! #1
richard harrap's picture
by richard harrap
June 10, 2011 - 6:51pm

Hi,
wonder if you can help. I have a macbook and a drobo NAS running over wireless / wired network.

Drobo connects to mac fine - and the shares mount ok. iphoto library sits on mac and masters are on the drobo. all works fine.
I have just bought aperture, and no matter which way i try things, aperture cannot find master files.
so, I want to run the library on the mac (but could be on drobo if necessary), but refer to the master files on the drobo. aperture thinks drobo is online when you use the import function.

tried to do reconnect files - no joy.

I didnt specifically format the drobo, but i cannot see it when i connect a windows machine to it, so reasonably sure its not FAT32. everything else works fine on the drobo - including time machine back up.

only way its seems to work is if i just put masters onto my mac!

it will import files, but i just get grainy previews, and then it never sharpens up as the masters cannot be found.

i read something about there being an error in the file path, which i needed to correct through some script with the terminal - but i didnt understand it, so stayed away!

when you do reconnect in aperture it is a bit wierd as it say something like [drobo]/path/1/path/photos - ie it repeats part of the path with a 1 in it, like there was 2 extra folders in the structure which dont exist!

Sorry for the long post - hope someone can help!!!!

yours, frustrated!!!!

ps - trialling photoshop - no issues at all! should i just be using that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

rjh

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
June 11, 2011 - 1:54am

Richard,

I know Aperture doesn’t work well connecting to a networked file system. I’m not sure if this applies when the library is local and only the masters are networked like you have it.

Joseph likely has more insight because he uses a Drobo (although probably not the networked version). He’s traveling across country right now so it could take a few days before he’s able to respond.

Thomas

S Holiday's picture
by S Holiday
June 11, 2011 - 2:44am

For what its worth. I have my ref files on a Netgear ReadyNAS NAS system. I have a few problems but found some things that help, although not perfect.

1) I use AFP as a protocol, better than CIFS, but not perfect
2) this is my best tip, for me anyway. I noticed that when I go to Aperture that sometime all my ref files are “offline”, share not found. If I go to Finder, then it can always find my share. So, what I do now is go to Finder before going into Aperture and click my way to the share, then go into Aperture and my Ref files are always connected. Not clean, but works so far. Can’t say if it always will, I’ve been doing it a couple of weeks now and it has for me.
3) I’m still considering HEAVILY, to get me a WD 2TB firewire 800 external drive and then back up to my NAS.

Good luck.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 11, 2011 - 5:04am

Folks,

Aperture is not NAS compatible. I can’t fully explain why, but it never has been. Even for masters storage, but especially for Library storage.

Avoid the NAS, sorry.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 12, 2011 - 7:04am

Folks,

To reiterate the point, I had some help locating the kb article on apple.com that talks about NAS (Network Attached Storage) use. Turns out, I already wrote an article on this site a year ago discussing this. Silly me.

Network Drives (NAS) and Aperture (Aug 03, 2010)

Aperture’s support of NAS has not changed. Basically, storing the Library on a NAS is specifically not supported, and storing the the Masters on a NAS is not recommended.

There do seem to be some NAS issues with Lion OS X 10.7 (x.0, i.e. initial release if anyone is finding this post afterwards) that hopefully will be addressed soon which are affecting some Aperture users.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness