You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving from Managed to Referenced #1
jturn00's picture
by jturn00
February 16, 2013 - 5:58am

I am going to move from Managed to Reference since my HD is running out of space. I would then keep the referenced on A drobo but the library will remain on the Macbook pro. In doing this do I need a space equal to the library size? (I.e if my library is 500GB, would I also need 500GB of free space to convert)?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
February 18, 2013 - 11:31pm

Probably pretty close to that size. The majority of space consumed by a managed library is made up of the images themselves. Versions, adjustments, metadata, library organization, etc, take up a relatively little space compared to the actual images.

If you have a 500GB Library, you should have at least 500GB free on the Drobo drive. Your Library will shrink dramatically afterwards.

One question .. why move the images (change from managed to referenced) versus just copying the entire Library over to the Drobo? The versions, adjustments, metadata, library organization, etc, are just as valuable as the images.

jturn00's picture
by jturn00
February 20, 2013 - 1:27am

The library is already on the drobo. Since I use a laptop, i want the ability to use the laptop and view the library without the drobo. My library has grown so big that I need to separate the library and files so it can fit back on my MBP.

jturn00's picture
by jturn00
February 20, 2013 - 2:55am

I’m also assuming that in moving from managed to referenced and select a folder option of “FOLDER NAME” “/” “PROJECT NAME” it will mimic my current folder / project setup including nested folders?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?