You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Monitor & Printer Profiling #1
Tim Dowling's picture
by Tim Dowling
February 11, 2013 - 11:47am

I recently upgraded my printer to the HP Photosmart 7510. I quickly found that what I saw in AP on my 2005 20” iMac (running 10.8) no where near matched what my printer was pumping out. I did a lot of research on profiling and decided to invest in a ColorMunki Photo. The software/hardware combo was easy to use and I soon had profiles for a few different HP papers. However, I am still unable to get the results I want. My prints went from looking too dark to looking having messed up color. I worked with the X-Rite folks to no avail. They looked at the profiles I created and said there was nothing wrong with them. I'm not entirely convinced, but have decided to go do another route looking for a solution to my problem (i.e. posting on the forums here). I realize the only thing “pro” in my workflow is AP, so maybe my expectations are too high. But I have some other photos I want to have professionally printed, and I'm worried they won't look like I want them to when I send them off. I've read a lot on these forums about profiling, but haven't stumbled across the answer if it is out there. Anyone help? Thanks for your time.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
February 12, 2013 - 1:57am

I’m interested in hearing your feedback. Color management I think has been all over the place with apple and adobe products. Its suppose to be clear cut … use a profile and every device down the line will know what to do with it!

Anyway when you made your color targets for profiling are you sure there was not any color mgt applied by AP or the printer? and Then when you use the profile are you sure you printed it with out interference from the printer, in other words just AP sent the data to the printer with no HP engine involved. I think I stopped printing my own images cause my walls were full and the workflow kept changing with every Os and PS version. Ive never printed from AP to a home printer, so Im of no help … Sorry to rant But I made lots of profiles both printer and camera over the years.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Tim Dowling's picture
by Tim Dowling
February 15, 2013 - 1:26am

I printed the profiles using the ColorMunki software, not AP. And I’m not 100% sure I completely turned of the color management. In the print dialog box, I have two options under the Color Matching drop down. I can select either ColorSync or Vendor Matching (I believe Vendor Matching is the same thing as Program Managed). If I choose Vendor Matching, I still have more options under the Paper Type / Quality drop down. There, I can choose from three color options. They are ColorSmart/sRGB, Grayscale, and Adobe RGB (1998). Each of those settings allows me to turn PhotoFix either off or on. If I choose ColorSync instead of vendor matching, then I have to choose a profile. I profiled once using Vendor Matching with ColorSmart/sRGB selected with PhotoFix OFF. I profiled again with ColorSync selected using a Generic RGB profile. Both gave me the same results as far as I could tell. The graph thingy associated with each ICC profile looked almost identical. So, I’m not sure if choosing ColorSmart/sRGB and PhotoFix off turns off ALL printer control. I’m also not sure if selecting the Generic RGB profile turns it off (though I have read that it does). I believe this might be the root cause of my problem. I have tried to work with HP tech support on this, but they weren’t much help.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
February 15, 2013 - 2:01am

Hi Tim

Make sure you watch all the video tutorials from X-rite. There is one today that is live by Ilford and X-rite. http://tinyurl.com/arga73z Once the profile is made in colorMunki you assign that Profile in AP and then print from AP. Its confusing to me So I hope some one will chime in with more current information.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Tim Dowling's picture
by Tim Dowling
February 17, 2013 - 1:37am

DB - Thanks for the link. I will watch it this weekend. However, I’m am pretty confident I have both correctly enabled soft-proofing in AP using the paper profile I want and have also assigned the correct profile when printing. There are two ways to assign the profile so far as I can tell. The first is to choose it from the AP print dialog. The second is to have the printer take care of it. To do that, choose “Printer Managed” from AP, and then select the paper profile from the next dialog in the same was I choose the Generic RGB profile I used for profiling. I have done both ways and get the same results.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness