You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moire issues with Aperture slideshow #1
Paul Einarsen's picture
by Paul Einarsen
June 7, 2014 - 3:29pm

I’m using Aperture now to create a slideshow movie which gets authored in iDVD for our clients. We sometimes get images that “strobe” or moire for no obvious reason. They always seem to happen in a group of 3-10, and resizing, or adjusting the images does not seem to help. The activity monitor also hangs for awhile at about 62% of the export and then quickly finishes. 

Is Aperture the best solution for creating slideshows that will be burned to DVD? Any other suggestions? 

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 16, 2014 - 5:23pm

Moire is a screen problem.  Check the images that moire at a viewing magnification of 100%.  If you see it at 100 magnification then you have images with moire and if not  then its the screen redraw.  I haven’t seen images moire in years… clothing or tight patterns caused problems at 100% in all channels of PS.  

Resizing should help those images…. whats the subject matter?

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Paul Einarsen's picture
by Paul Einarsen
June 17, 2014 - 1:49am

It turns out to have something to do with the way the program renders the file. If I try outputting the images for DVD slideshows directly from iPhoto/Aperture/Fotomagico I get the “moire” issue (a flickering related to detailed areas). But if I output the slideshow to ProRes and then import it and author the DVD through Compressor, it resolves the issue. I think it has something to do with the change in pixel shape and the quality of the processing. Subject matter is detailed landscape and the issue shows up in grass and leaves mostly. 

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 17, 2014 - 2:23am

Part of the problem could be that iDVD has not been supported by Apple for quite some time. I’m quite sure iPhoto, Aperture and even Fotomagico have been updated multiple times since the last release of iDVD. I would tend to think the weak link is iDVD.

I have created and exported probably several thousand slideshows from Aperture over the past several years … never an issue … though I only authored a few to DVD … saved a mountain directly to DVD as data files though.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness