You are here

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mission Control Desktops #1
Peter Guttinger's picture
by Peter Guttinger
August 14, 2012 - 3:31am

Since Mountain Lion Aperture appears on all mission control desktops. This is very annoying. Any ideas to overcome this?

I use a desktop per main app. Switching between desktops is switching between apps.

Peter.Guttinger

by Peter Guttinger
September 28, 2012 - 1:47am

Joseph,
i uploaded it again, after testing it. It seems to be ok.

Peter.Guttinger

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 28, 2012 - 2:07am

Peter,

I can’t reproduce the problem. When I create new desktops in Mission Control, I can drag Aperture to any of them. I even tested on a dual display system. All on Mountain Lion.

It’s time to start isolating the problem. You said you can drag other apps, just not Aperture. Did you try creating a new user account to see if the problem can be recreated there? Try trashing the Mission Control preferences (honestly not sure which they would be; you’ll have to dig). Not sure what else to suggest at this point.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 11, 2012 - 7:11am

Very odd, but I doubt that an app update will fix this. It seems to be not Aperture specific, but more likely something in the OS.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Guttinger
October 26, 2012 - 8:32pm

I found the solution! It’s odd!

There is an option on every app in the dock panel called “assign to”. Here one can select “all desktops” , “this”, “DesktopX” or “none”. Apperently someone (probably myself) has set that to “all”.
To get to the option: On any running app, right click on the icon and select “Options” - “assign to”.

That’s all about - easy - as everthing if understood!

Peter.Guttinger

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 27, 2012 - 2:50am

Peter,

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that. I guess I should look at using Spaces more. Probably quite useful ;-)

@PhotoJoseph

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
October 27, 2012 - 3:01am

Sorry I missed this thread before … I could have let you know about the options in the Dock … I stumbled upon that feature awhile back…

I too am a fan of multiple Desktops … I use one for internet functions (Mail, Safari and FTP client) Then one each for Aperture/Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign then another for Pages/Numbers/Keynote.

What is convenient is a two-finger side swipe on the Magic Mouse switches between adjacent views … and … those spaces that are not active are skipped to save the extra traveling around. Keeps things tidy. I also placed different background images for each desktop so I know where I am.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 27, 2012 - 3:41am

Butch,

I didn’t know you could have different backgrounds on different Spaces, cool. Sounds like a great TinyMacTip! ;-)

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 14, 2012 - 6:17am

Peter,

I’m not sure how that could happen to be honest… are you running Aperture in full screen mode? Have you restarted your Mac since this started?

Perhaps you could share a screenshot when in the “mission control” view. Command-shift-3 will capture the entire screen, then you can post that on flickr or something like that and share the link here, or if you prefer just upload to the DROPBOX on this site, under the MORE menu.

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Guttinger
September 24, 2012 - 3:48am

I uploaded “Peter Guttinger - Desktop” zip file.

When trying to move Aperture to another desktop, Lion refuses it, the A3 icon jumps back. Any other app can be placed on any desktop.

When switching to another desktop (ctrl-left /-right), A3 is there already. No matter how i switch the desktop.

(pgu desktop)

Peter.Guttinger

by Peter Guttinger
September 24, 2012 - 4:49am

..to add: I run Aperture on a acbook Pro with an external screen. The screen shots show both sreens. Therfore i use A3 rarely in fullscreen mode (the secondary screen IS fullscreen).

Peter.Guttinger

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 24, 2012 - 11:40pm

Peter,

Unfortunately the zip file is corrupted; I downloaded it twice but it won’t open. Can you post it again?

@PhotoJoseph

by Peter Guttinger
October 1, 2012 - 6:30am

Joseph,
Neither another user nor recreation of the prefs file solved the problem.
I wait until the problem disappears. Will install A 3.4 soon and hope that this issue is fixed.

Peter
.. and thank you for helping..

Peter.Guttinger

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?