You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Migrating Library to Aperture and iCloud Photostream settings #1
tddzdm's picture
by tddzdm
May 6, 2014 - 6:47pm

Hello all,

I recently imported my photo library to Aperture.  The one issue I am having is that aperture is uploading them to  My Photostream.  This is a relatively large library, so it has been clogging up my bandwidth for the past few days.  I’ve unchecked “automatic upload” to iCloud in preferences, but this hasn’t stopped things. 

I don’t mind aperture uploading my photos that I will be taking in the future, but the backlog of over 10 years of photos doesn’t need to be uploaded.

Any help for me?  The google hasn’t been of any help to me so far.

Joe's picture
by Joe
May 6, 2014 - 10:50pm

Hi,

Never got this…. but have u try to close and reopen aperture after changing the settings?

Regards,

J.

tddzdm's picture
by tddzdm
May 6, 2014 - 11:06pm

Thanks for replying.  I have tried closing and reopening aperture as well as restarting the computer.  Even when I haven’t booted up the software, it begins uploading the pictures in the background.

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
May 7, 2014 - 10:50pm

Hi tddzdm,

Not sure if you've figured this out yet, but open Aperture 3 preferences (Cmmd + ,) and go to the iCloud tab. Disable Automatic Upload and it will stop uploading.

Once you've done this you can delete any unwanted images from your My Photo Stream in the iCloud view.

FYI, I have the following features activated in my iCloud preferences: My Photo Stream, Automatic Import and Photo Sharing

tddzdm's picture
by tddzdm
May 7, 2014 - 11:19pm

Chris,

Thanks so much for replying.  

Unfortunately, I did go to preferences and disabled the Automatic Upload, but it still continues to say, “Updating My PhotoStream.”  I’ve tried to cancel the upload, but it doesn’t acknowledge the command.  I don’t understand what the bug is.  I’ve tried to restart the program, restart the computer, etc.

Unless I find a fix, I am resigned to have my bandwidth jammed up for another three or four days, estimating the rate that they are uploading.

I have a screen cap of the box and the upload, but I see that this forum does not host photos.  As much problem I have with getting around online right now with this program clogging up my internet, I am not going to search around to upload it to photobucket or some other hosting site to find out that there is no fix.  It is an hour of my life that I won’t get back.

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
May 7, 2014 - 11:42pm

Try turning off Photo Stream in System Preferences -> iCloud -> Photos -> Options

tddzdm's picture
by tddzdm
May 8, 2014 - 12:30am

Thanks, Chris.

I did that and it seems to have taken care of the uploading problem.  However, now it is re-downloading 9,000 pictures from My Photo Stream.  Oh well, by download speeds are quite a bit faster than my download speed, so I expect this job to take a lot less time.

Unless something changes, I figure that this will fix the issue.

Kind of a clumsy workaround, but I don’t see any other way to deal with this problem.

Thanks for the help.

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
May 8, 2014 - 1:06am

I would say to go to iCloud.com and delete the images from your photo stream, but there is no web interface for managing your iCloud images. Shame.

Aperture Rookie's picture
by Aperture Rookie
May 14, 2014 - 9:48pm

Hi. I started an account so that I could reply to your post.

I had this same problem.  I fixed it by going into iPhoto and turning off photo stream uploads in iPhoto. I think it may have something to do with the referenced library in iPhoto.  

Hope this helps.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?