You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
MBP Retina SD SLOT #1
Paul T's picture
by Paul T
January 12, 2013 - 2:28am

I know this has probably been mentioned before but WOW, I use a D800 and long story short forgot about the SD slot.

Well I popped my SanDisk Extreme Pro @95MB's into my new baby instead of the USB cable, it's easily 3 times faster and I work referenced on a 6TB LaCie Thunderbolt. Anyway my card had 20GB of pics on it and it sucked it through to the LaCie in just over 5 minutes, I turned backup off so I could compare it to LR4, it took 14 minutes with back up switched off too, why is it almost 3 times slower to ingest.

Aperture actually gets the previews up in about 45 seconds, it just fantastic. I'm so glad I didn't buy that CF now that these new Lexar 256GB SDXC just got released for the same price as the 128GB CF. I've never had to use a CF before and now I don't think I'll bother. It really is amazing, people with both these things will be able too get editing literally 3 time faster if they are pushed for time and have a lot of photos to transfer. It will be fantastic for photojournalists under the pump

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 15, 2013 - 8:09am

The speed difference you were seeing over going USB is because the SD reader in the computer is a serial connection. If you got a USB 3 reader, you’d probably see similar speeds (don’t quote me on that… not looking at numbers here). But yes if you can go direct, that’ll be fastest. There are no laptops with CF readers built in, so in that regard SD may always be faster. But yeah… they are fragile.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Paul T's picture
by Paul T
January 15, 2013 - 8:14am

Also in regards to my D800 and the SD slot, I have noted the it’s obviously MUCH faster if no other applications are open and running, which is what I did during the test, it is slower when you have other apps open.

Now my other question is, I used to shoot and edit TV on XD Cameras and used Studio 2 to cut with when out of town on the road. Whack it through compressor and upload the news story with 3G on the road, average news story is 90 seconds so yes it worked a treat. Took about an hours at low res.

I bought my D800 to start filming again, but my question now is, are SDHC, SDXC or CF better for video and RAW files? I was using FCP-X but switched to Abode Premier Pro, both have their downfalls. I much prefer FCP-X but the insane continuous rendering just rendered it useless until version 10.7 came out and in conjunction with having a new MBP with 2.6MHz and 16GB of ram I’ve gone back to FCP-X, thank GOD!! I can’t seem to find a comparison out there anywhere, I greatly appreciate and feedback.

Paul

Paul T's picture
by Paul T
January 15, 2013 - 8:15am

post at the same time, LOL

Paul T's picture
by Paul T
January 15, 2013 - 12:18pm

I’ve also read a lot about CF cards getting issues quicker and failing much quicker than SD cards, is this true? Do SD cards in general last longer than CF cards even though they’re smaller and more delicate. Finally do CF cards come with lifetime warranties as all SanDisk and Lexar SD cards do? I can’t seem to find much info about this.

Paul

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness