You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Master files and Referenced Files #1
Philip Devin's picture
by Philip Devin
October 17, 2011 - 4:10am

I have over 35,000 photos and growing. I have always imported photos off whatever camera device I was using (directly off camera to the folders) and placed them in a folder structure on my server i.e. Events-Holidays-Xmas 2010 etc. I used several diff photo apps but with Aperture latest release I decided to use it exclusively (still use LightRoom for web).

I did an import to Aperture of all my pics in their folders but kept the actual files in place ( did this in case I wanted to make a change later) and it all seems to work great - after a long import but my Aperture projects match up to the folders.

My issue as that as I have been now using Aperture to perform the actual import (and subsequently the photostream process) I accidentally let the actual master pictures go into the aperture library and not my folder structure. I don't like have the last 600 says pics living in the aperture library and the rest referenced to other folder file structure. I want to move or export these new masters to the folders I've always used and then have all new imports do the same. I think I'm asking this correctly and it seems I could just export but I want to retain the structure and meta data.

Phl

Thanks for the help.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 17, 2011 - 5:10am

Select the photos in Aperture and choose File->Relocate Masters… and in the resulting dialog navigate to where you would like the masters to live and click Relocate. Aperture will do it all for you.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness