You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Managed/Referenced & Previews locations #1
Rick Ogrodzinski's picture
by Rick Ogrodzinski
May 18, 2012 - 4:56am

I'm a new Aperture 3 user and am totally dumbfounded. I love the program, but want to move my masters to another USB drive. I've read much on the topic, but it still doesn't seem to work and now I have lost connections between many previews and their related master files. HELP!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 18, 2012 - 5:02am

Rick,

For us to help, we need to know more information. Please tell us in as much detail as you can what you did, what happened, what you were expecting, etc.

Reconnecting masters is an easy-enough task, but let’s see where you’re actually at.

I know you said you have read much on the topic, but consider checking out some of the Aperture training sold here on the ApertureExpert Store. Details like this are covered extensively throughout the training.

But let’s get you back up and running, first.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Rick Ogrodzinski
May 18, 2012 - 5:20am

Thank you for your prompt guidance Joseph. I work best in point form:

.1. I initially set up Aperture3 as ‘managed’, with the files being located on a 1Tb G-Tech drive. This worked well for me, but I am now at ~20,000 masters and need portability of files. I want to be able to take away my MacBook Pro and drive with files. I purchased a 1Tb WD MyPassport USB drive. I want to move my files over to this new drive.

.2. I guess my fundamental problem is that I don’t understand the Aperture 3 file structure. My understanding is that there is a master library and a preview/version library? Where should these be located? On the same drive … or not?

.3. I did try File>Relocate Master, but then I couldn’t connect. I went back to using my G-Tech and everything worked. I then erased the new WD drive.

.4. That’s where I am now. I believe I need to understand the file structure better, as in 2 above, locate where these structures/libraries are and then get step-by-step instructions to migrate to the new drive.

FYI, Several people have advised me to migrate to LR4, but I am resisting. I have learned how to manipulate Aperture3 and love its file management. I don’t want to change. I’ve also heard rumours about Aperture4 or X and look forward to sticking with it.

That’s my story. I am very computer savvy, but am not with it on this one. I look forward to advise and guidance. I am all for purchasing training videos to supplement my understanding as well. I would, however, like to get going first.

Regards,
Rick

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 18, 2012 - 6:08am

Rick,

Thanks for the details.

I think you understand the basic difference between managed and referenced, but I want to be certain you do.

Managed means Aperture literally manages the files for you, storing them inside its own database, called the Library. This is, for all intents and purposes, a single file (it’s actually a package). That’s Library is everything — the database, the metadata, the masters, the previews, everything.

Referenced means that you are responsible for managing the master files, not Aperture. These masters can live anywhere you want outside of the Aperture library. On the same hard drive (but then there’s not much point), on a USB or Firewire or Thunderbolt drive, across a network, or even on a DVD-ROM (although the access speed would be horrendously slow).

The primary advantage of managed is simplicity of use and backup; the primary advantage of referenced is flexibility and expansion.

In step 1. above, it sounds like your intention is to have your Library on the MacBook Pro, and the masters on a portable hard drive. Is that right? Keep in mind that USB is pretty slow, and it’s not ideal to store master on a slow drive. You’d be better off with a Firewire external drive, or Thunderbolt if your Mac supports it.

2. Your understanding is incorrect — there is only one library. That library may or may not contain the masters, but regardless there is only one library.

3. When you do File > Relocate Master, you shouldn’t have to reconnect. Aperture is making the move for you, so it knows where the masters are. Something else went wrong there.

4. Everything is working but I don’t know if you have a managed or referenced library now.

Easy way to know the difference is to look for the referenced badge (square with a curved arrow in it) on the thumbnails (tap the U key to toggle that metadata on and off).

So let’s see where you’re actually at now, and go from there.

a. Where is the Library now?
b. Where are the masters? If not managed, then where are they?
c. Is my assumption correct on what you are trying to ultimately do?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

by Rick Ogrodzinski
May 18, 2012 - 7:02am

The library now looks to be in my USB drive. But when I open the drive, it is totally empty!

The referenced badges show the masters to be offline.

I wonder if they got erased somehow?!

Do you know where the masters go if they are erased by disk utilities?

At this point, I am afraid that I have lost ALL my master files. OMG!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 18, 2012 - 7:09am

Well, you said you moved everything to the WD, then went back to the G-Tech, then erased the WD… are you sure you moved your files back to the G-Tech before wiping the WD?

When you say your Library looks to be on your USB drive, what makes you say that? Why do you believe that’s where it is? You’re able to open Aperture, right… and you can see your photos, but they are offline (meaning you see the box with the curved arrow and a RED LINE through it right?). If you open the Aperture preferences the first tab General has a listing “library location”; where is that pointing at? That’s where your Library is.

The masters though, I don’t know… hopefully not on the erased drive.

Where do the masters go if erased by Disk Utility? When you erase or reformat a drive, all that is removed is the file headers so that they appear to not be there, however the files are actually still intact. If you zeroed out the drive, however, then they are gone forever.

If you don’t have the files anywhere, then do NOT do anything else to your WD drive. You need to get a recovery utility (un-erase) and see if you can save your masters off that drive.

I assume at this point that you don’t have a backup?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

by Rick Ogrodzinski
May 18, 2012 - 7:51am

No backup and as you suggest in one of your books, I am subscribing to Backblaze immediately.

Aperture Preferences are pointing back at my G-Tech and its size is 23Gb. I’m assuming this is the thumbnails, metadata, etc only, not the masters?

When I go to File>Switch to and go to my original G-Tech drive, it says “19345 versions and 19271 masters”. Does that mean the masters are there? If so, then why are the masters “offline”?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 18, 2012 - 8:29am

Rick,

23Gb for 20k photos, that’s only a little over 1MB per photo, so yeah that’s just metadata and thumbnails and previews. Masters would be 10x to 20x that.

You ask “when I go to file > switch … original G-Tech drive”; but that’s what you’re currently running isn’t it? That one Library that’s on the G-Tech? Do you see any other libraries listed in the Switch dialog?

The count of versions and masters simply means how many Aperture is aware of. It doesn’t know that the masters are missing.

Try a Finder search for one of the master names. But if you don’t find anything, and with 20k photos it’s not like it’s a little thing hiding somewhere, it sounds to me like you erased the hard drive that had all your masters. Get going on a recovery utility asap.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

by Rick Ogrodzinski
May 18, 2012 - 10:20pm

Thank you for all your guidance Joseph.

When I said no backup, I meant “cloud type”. I do have Time Machine and it regularly backs up my MBP. I have found ALL my master files and have reconnected them! Whew!

Now I have the Aperture library and all my masters on the original G-Tech drive. I want to do 2 things:

.1. Move my library to my MBP hard drive (pictures).

.2. Move my master files to a separate portable hard drive; I think I will purchase a portable drive with Firewire 800 capability.

I now need to figure out a logical sequence of events to accomplish this. Can you help please?

Also, which of your videos might you suggest I purchase to help with my Aperture 3 activities? I’m also ver interested in tutorials on how too process RAW files particularly.

Once again, thank you so much for your guidance so far.

Rick

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 19, 2012 - 9:30am

Rick,

Glad to hear it!!

I assume your photos are referenced now, yes? The masters are separate from the Library?

Here’s how I would do this. I think if you follow these steps you won’t have to go through a reconnect, but I can’t promise that. You’re moving both pieces and so the paths are likely to break. It’s no big deal if they do, but just so you know in advance.

Library and Masters are both on the G-TECH. You want to move the Masters to a portable drive and the Library to your MacBook Pro.

1. Open Aperture. Right click on the Photos icon and choose “relocate masters for library” [screenshot]. Point them to your new drive. This will give you an opportunity to alter the structure of the files if you like (are they yyyy/mm/dd folders now, or project named folders, or? If you want to change that structure, now is your chance.)

2. Once complete, shut down Aperture and copy the Library to the MacBook Pro internal drive. Relaunch Aperture, and see if it automatically connects to your masters. If so, you’re done. If not, then go to the Photos view, make sure that you are in “show all” view [screenshot], select all photos, then go to menu File > Locate Referenced Files. You will only have to match one file, the click Reconnect All and everything will reconnect.

As far as the videos, I don’t think I have one on this specific task. There are tips to troubleshooting it in the “ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3” ebook and general guidance in the “In-Depth Getting Started with Aperture 3” but this is pretty specific so no, I don’t have a training just on that. But as you can see, it’s quite simple.

As far as processing RAW files; you don’t have to… that’s kind of the idea in Aperture. You don’t have to process, it’s done for you (you can tweak if you want, but few do). You can of course adjust files all day long, and if that’s what you mean, then check out the series of Live Training videos that cover Adjustments (videos 008 to 016).

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?