You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lost Import Dropdowns #1
Bill Gangwer's picture
by Bill Gangwer
August 25, 2011 - 3:05pm

Help, I have been trying different setups with my import settings to get it just right. I went back into Aperture and selected import, first thing I notice I have to click on the import button 3 times before it starts. When it opens I do not have any import information on the righthand side except in the “import Settings” drop down my only option is file info.

Also just discovered that when I put in an SD card Aperture does not open automatic like it used too.

I am running Snow Leopard so no upgrade to Lion yet.

Anyone have this happen?

Thank you, Bill

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 26, 2011 - 6:11am

Bill,

Try trashing your preferences file. Quit Aperture, then go to ~/Library/Preferences and move com.apple.Aperture.plist to the Desktop, then re-launch Aperture. See if that fixes it.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Bill Gangwer's picture
by Bill Gangwer
August 26, 2011 - 8:23am

Joseph,

It worked but now I have lost all of my pictures HELP. Cant find 10 years of pictures.

Bill

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 26, 2011 - 8:37am

Bill,

Don’t panic, the photos are there!

You must have your Aperture library in another location other than the default, which is in the ~/Pictures folder. When you trash the preferences, Aperture looks there for an Aperture Library, and if it doesn’t find one, it creates a new one.

Just go to the menu File > Switch to Library > Other/New… and it will give you a list of all Libraries on your Mac. Pick yours, and off you go!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Bill Gangwer's picture
by Bill Gangwer
August 26, 2011 - 8:51am

Thank You Joseph!!!!!!!

I found them. What do I do with the file I moved to the desktop?

I should just ask you instead of trying to figure this out. I have all my photos which is 170GB on my internal hard drive, I want to move them to an external drive and then back them up to a second external drive. Can you give me advice or point me in the right direction of how to do this.

Thank you again, I Love your site it has been very helpful.

Bill

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 26, 2011 - 12:03pm

Bill,

Glad it’s all sorted out. Just trash the old preferences file, you don’t need it anymore. I had become corrupted but Aperture made a new one when you launched it again. Do look in your Preferences though to be sure all the settings are as you want them.

Best way to move your files is to let Aperture do it. Use the “relocate masters” command to move master files to a new hard drive, then back that up using whatever method you’ll use.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness