You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lockup using Vaults #1
Milt Anglin's picture
by Milt Anglin
December 27, 2013 - 4:33am

When I try to update my Vault I get the spinning beach ball  and Aperture locks up. I have to use Force Quit to exit the application. I have deleted preferences and that didn’t work. I then reinstalled Aperture and still have the same problem. I am running a 2011 13” MBP with a 2.3 G Intel Core i5, and 16 GB Ram and 240GB SSD

Any suggestions?

Milt

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
December 28, 2013 - 12:53am

How long do you let AP vault build?  Do you ever open Activity Monitor and then dble click on the line with Aperture in it?  It opens another widow …click on open doc an ports?  There you’ll see a counter that says how many hangs you have.  I had 200 the other day.  Even is Activity Monitor says Aperture is not responding let it run.  Id kill it after letting it run over night and no change

Alternative to Vaults is to just make a new copy of the Lib on anther HD.  Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Milt Anglin's picture
by Milt Anglin
December 28, 2013 - 2:02am

Thanks David. I guess I was a little impatient. I let it run for 45 min. and it updated. 

Milt

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
December 28, 2013 - 10:43pm

Personally, I have given up on Aperture vaults.   I now use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to make clones of my entire Aperture library.    This is addition to my primary backup strategy of a) Time Machine (local) and b) Crashplan+ (cloud)

My Aperture library (400GB managed) lives on my iMac SSD.    I automatically clone it nightly to a Pegasus R4, and to a second Thunderbolt single spindle drive.   These are both attached to the iMac permanently… and allow me to “move” my Aperture library to an alternate computer in the event of a system crash.

I also use CCC to clone my media to a rotating pair of HDDs, with the most recent always stored offsite.

/Jim Pappas

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 8, 2014 - 10:25pm

I also don’t use vaults. My master library is 1.5TB on a dedicated external disk. I keep three copies of that disk (yes, master + 3 copies). One copy stays at home, one stays at work, the master and one copy stay with me when I travel.

smb's picture
by smb
December 30, 2013 - 7:36pm

I keep nothing on the iMac. Also make a library for each year with a back up Vault for each Library. (Sounds like most are giving up on the Vaults.)

The Lib. and Vaults live on a Drobo 5D so there is some “protection” there and copies of the Libraries and Vaults are each on their own EHD that I keep off site. Updating those two EHDs is not all that time consuming because only the present year and perhaps the last year have any meaningful activity. Even if I rework a 2008 image it would not be tragic if that small amount of data could not be be replaced.

Reading this, I am now considering another EHD back-up for the libraries.

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

Mark Wagner's picture
by Mark Wagner
January 8, 2014 - 6:44pm

This is very timely for me. I shoot a lot, and this year my Aperture library for 2013 was at 1.8 Terabytes. Aperture has not had any problems dealing with such a large library. However when I try to create the vault it just hangs up & I get the spinning beachball. I’ve had to force quit, and was looking for other options. I guess I will just copy the hard drive that has the Aperture library using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

I guess that the vault feature in Aperture must have some limitation based upon the size.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 8, 2014 - 10:30pm

I don’t know that it has a limitation on size. I think it has more to do with how Aperture is updating the vault. I think Aperture has to do a complete comparison between the Library and the Vault including masters, versions, deletes, all of the metadata item changes, all of the folder / project / album / organization changes, etc. Once it determines exactly what has changed, it them has to apply all of those changes to the Vault. You can image that being a very time consuming task. Since all of this stuff is stored in files on disk, quitting Aperture and simply cloning / rsync’ing / etc from a master to your backups is much more efficient and just as effective.

Mark Wagner's picture
by Mark Wagner
January 9, 2014 - 2:09pm

An update. Aperture did update the vault. I let the computer just sit & run. Had the spinning beach ball the whole time (which is what threw me off, but when I came home from work, after starting it the night before - it was complete. So at a 1.8 terabyte sized library - it may take a bit, but it does work.

Mark

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 9, 2014 - 7:50pm

Glad to hear it finally finished.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness