You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Live Training 105 - Bookmarks #1
stuartmorley's picture
by stuartmorley
April 23, 2014 - 7:32am

Just watched Live Training 105 which I found helpful.

One thing seems strange though, Bookmarks (with a blue tag) are mentioned as a way of “remembering” how far through a project you have got when you are rating your images.

Surely, this is what the unrated setting is for? After all bookmarking would fail if you changed the order in which images where displayed. If you rate all images as you go through them either reject, or 1..5 then anything unrated is simply unrated and needs to be rated. This in fact shows the position you were at as the next image is unrated. You would need to set the search to unrated of course to first rate all images. It also works regardless of the sort order of images.

What I do is go through all images (with the search set to unrated) and when there are no more image left (as they are all now rated or rejected) I know at least the first pass is done. The first pass usually results in 90% of my rating being done.

Or am I missing something?

Joe's picture
by Joe
April 23, 2014 - 8:02am

Hi,

Thanks to Aperture flexibility both concept are right :)

• Your proposal works really well for people fully using the stars rating approach
  • The idea to use the bookmark or label can apply for all others - and I guess many people are not rating all their images.

:)
Have a nice day, 

J.

stuartmorley's picture
by stuartmorley
April 23, 2014 - 8:07am

Yes that makes perfect sense.

Not sure why people wouldn’t want to rate ALL their images in a project though and only rate some of them? Seems to defeat the object of rating?

I  guess you might not want to rate ANY photos in a project e.g. They are all records of certain things and the quality isn’t important - inventory of your valuables in your house for insurance purposes etc.

Regards

Stu

Joe's picture
by Joe
April 23, 2014 - 8:15am

mmm then you will not like the way I am managing my library :D It is perhaps not perfect but the way I work is the following:

• Any picture that I am editing or have finish to edit have a color label
  • Only the best of the best are getting a 4 or 5* rating

Then when I am using smart albums, I will do rules either based on color label or on start or both.

You can argue that my color label is the equivalent of a 1 to 3 * rating… yep, more or less… but I was looking to avoid internal debate inside myself to know if a pic is a 2* or a 3*… at then end, they are good but not the greatest and that is what my color label without start means :)

stuartmorley's picture
by stuartmorley
April 23, 2014 - 8:27am

No issues with the way you manage your library at all, after all it’s your library :)

Just trying to work out a way to do mine so trying to learn from all really and wanting to make sure I don’t miss anything.

So far I have come up with this….

If it’s unrated I haven’t decided yet and it needs to be rated.

If it’s rubbish then 9 to reject and then delete later

If it’s Ok but I don’t really want to see it then 1-2

Average is 3, I would usually do a show everything 3 and above.

4 is great image

5 is stunning and a personal favourite. Portfolio quality (not that I need a portfolio as it’s for my own pleasure and not commercial)

Flagged means I want to work on this image later, or maybe this means I am done with this image. - Undecided.

Colours - Hmmm not sure. May use for Friends and Family, Work, Travel etc but undecided. I am still to venture into Keywords so this may change.

Regards

Stu

Joe's picture
by Joe
April 23, 2014 - 8:40am

Hi,

I think you are on the good track. One of my rule with Aperture is to keep the amount of metadata to what I need and not more. Because more you have metadata, more you have to maintain and higher is the risk that they are wrong (and therefore not usable when needed)

Your ideas for color seems not the right one IMHO. It seems perfect candidates for keyword for the following reasons:

• Keyboards can be multiple - you will be blocked to handle friend + travel with color. A pic can have only one color
  • Color are impacting the user experience in Aperture and outside. Meaning that the image becomes then flag with color tag. So I will advise to keep such features for files that need to be easily sort out visually.

stuartmorley's picture
by stuartmorley
April 23, 2014 - 8:49am

Yes, I think you’re right about colours and keywords.

I also managed my projects by location within folders e.g. Home, Europe, Asia, Rest of World and then in folders Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and then by date of visit which works very well.

Location is always the one common thing in any Photo. I find this works well. It is also good when I shows people my photos as typically they want to look at Photos in Bangkok for example etc.

Within the Thailand folder there would be a smart album (or several) of the best photos in Bangkok for example (Temples, people etc).

I will then use Keywords and Smart albums to then define further e.g. Flowers (which can be in any location of course)

Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Stu

Joe's picture
by Joe
April 23, 2014 - 8:52am

Hi,

the most important is to have a way that match your need. 

Have you consider to use the geo localization features in place of a folder structure for it?

Regards,

J.

stuartmorley's picture
by stuartmorley
April 23, 2014 - 9:05am

No, not yet. It is something that I will look at now you mention it, although I think I have quite enough to sort out at the moment :)

I guess it means another thing to do and the location can be general (Bangkok) rather than exact. It also means I have to copy data from my Iphone as my camera doesn’t have GPS.

I will take a look at the Video about Places. I have downloaded them all and will put them on my iPad to watch later.

Regards

Stu

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness