You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Live (Auto updating slideshow) #1
Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
May 6, 2011 - 2:17pm

I'm shooting my school's prom soon - because it's more fun to shoot it than dance. (And for the adults who don't know what teenage dancing has degenerated into lately, consider yourselves lucky.)

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to use Aperture 3 to do a live slideshow during the event. I would use a Canon WFT and probably just the hot folder script to get everything into Aperture. Will a slideshow that's playing using the “Play Slideshow” setting (from the AP2 days) grab new files as they're imported into a new project? If so, would this even be a good idea? IIRC, Aperture still needs to generate previews for those slideshows, and given that I'd be shooting with either a 7D or 1D (rented of course!), and I have a 13” MBP, that might not be the best idea speed wise. (Though I could also shoot RAW+S-Jpeg and that probably wouldn't be too bad.)

So, am I over extending Aperture's capabilities? Is there a simple program that would work well for what I'd like to do. (Mostly this is a just a fun thing to add to the dance, and an excuse to borrow a couple things for a bit, but it's something I'd like to be able to do in the future too.) Thanks for the advice!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 7, 2011 - 2:36am

Michael,

Great plan. I have been wanting to do that at a wedding, but from cameras the guests are shooting with. Put a pile of point-and-shoots with those EyeFi cards in them, feeding into a shared location and running a slide show.

Unfortunately I’ve never tried it. So I don’t know if it’ll work, but it probably would. I don’t think the new photos would get picked up until it’d made a complete cycle, but it seems logical that it would work.

You could try it by running a slideshow and dropping new photos into the watched folder from another computer on the network, instead of going to the trouble of configuring the WiFi device on the camera.

Let us know how it goes!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
May 10, 2011 - 1:35am

Yeah, I’ve seen the idea for a wedding too, and that would be something nice to have. (I’ll call you in a few years. ;))

I’ll do some messing around this week after testing a let you know how it goes!

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
May 10, 2011 - 10:26am

Well, trying in Aperture, I think my current problem is getting the hot folder script to work as my current files aren’t auto-importing while a slideshow is playing or really any other of the few things I tried to get it to do.

However, I have found a few apps here: http://support.eye.fi/support-resources/tips-tricks/accounts-multiple-ca…

Photolive seems to work ok so far and is built on AIR. It seems to have an odd quirk or two that requires it to have a photo in your folder before hand, and shows newly dropped photos twice, and it’s rather limited but it works for free!

I’m going to keep searching around and will post back what I find because I think this will be something lots of photographers could find useful. :) In the meantime, CPS told me I would have a WFT on the way to test!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?