You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Library inconsistencies problem #1
Mark Ovens's picture
by Mark Ovens
April 30, 2013 - 2:18am

Aperture 3.4.4, 24GB Library, OS X 10.8.3, Retina MBP

I have two USB disks connected to my Airport Extreme which each have an Aperture Vault on them.

I'm trying to update the vaults - the first time since u/g to 3.4.4 from 3.4.3 - and updated one without any problem, but the second is causing problems.

I start the update and the beach ball appears in Aperture for about 15 minutes. Activity Monitor shows Aperture as “Not Responding” but it is using ~5% CPU and a slowly increasing amount of memory.

Eventually, it returns and I get the message that the vault needs to be updated. I click OK and a “Updating Library” progress dialogue appears.

After about 30 seconds I get a pop-up message:

An inconsistency in your database has been detected. The application will now quit, relaunch, and restore your database to a consistent state. This may take some time.

and a QUIT button.

Aperture quits, but does NOT restart automatically. I restart it manually and get the message:

Would you like to rebuild the library “Aperture Library.aplibrary”?

The library “Aperture Library.aplibrary” is missing required database files and must be rebuilt before it can be opened.

I click REBUILD and the Rebuilding Library progress dialogue appears and Aperture eventually restarts and, seemingly, works just fine, until I try to update the Vault again.

I have tried restarting Aperture while holding down Command + Option and selecting Repair Database which took several hours to run - but still the problem exists.

I found this tip and repaired the permissions on my Home Folder - but still the problem exists.

I'm getting concerned now that something is seriously wrong so before I poke around any more I'd appreciate some help/guidance on what I should be looking for.

One more thing, in case it is relevant, is that the Vault that updated successfully now shows a yellow “spinner” icon instead of grey which it usually does when a Vault is up to date (and this one did after it had updated).

Can anyone suggest how I should proceed?

katy's picture
by katy
May 4, 2013 - 9:35pm

I’m having a similar problem, every time I try to update my vault the beachball appears and spins endlessly. i have to force quit. ANy suggestions. This makes me very nervous. Thank you in advance for any thoughts Katy

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 30, 2013 - 2:24am

Mark,

If I were you, I’d abandon that vault (or archive it somewhere) and just create a new one from within Aperture. The advantage to updating an existing vault is that it should be faster than creating a new one from scratch. But you’ve already wasted enough time that you’ve lost that advantage.

Tom

Thomas

Mark Ovens's picture
by Mark Ovens
April 30, 2013 - 2:35am

Thanks for the quick reply Tom.

Yes, I’d already considered doing that, but my concern is that it appears that attempting to update a vault is corrupting my Library which is very worrying. I could understand if it was complaining that the vault is corrupt but surely creating/updating vaults should only read the Library not make any changes to it.

I am currently creating a new vault (on the same disk) so let’s see if this works.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 30, 2013 - 3:25am

I’ve had Aperture crash while updating a vault before and it also caused the database to corrupt (several times to the same vault before I abandoned it). I think anytime Aperture crashes there is the possibility for the database to corrupt. (Probably only Apple engineers know what Aperture is doing that allows this to happen)

Once I abandoned that vault and the crashing stopped, I haven’t had any other trouble with the library that was getting corrupted during a vault update. So I think the vault is the problem.

Thomas

Mark Ovens's picture
by Mark Ovens
May 1, 2013 - 1:41am

Well, the new vault was created successfully although it took ~12 hours!!! Interestingly, the new one is only 16GB whereas the old one was 21GB. Presumably the vaults hold old data??

Still a bit worrying that creating a vault can corrupt your Library, especially when vaults are backups which are supposed enable you to restore in the event of losing the Library.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness